2 students mugged in Warren Underpass Saturday morning

Two male UA students were injured after being assaulted and robbed while walking through the Warren Underpass, which goes under East Speedway Boulevard, at about 2:45 a.m. on Saturday.

The students were walking through and were approached by three white men dressed in dark clothing who appeared to be in their 20s, according to a police report issued by the University of Arizona Police Department. The men assaulted the students, robbed them of their belongings and fled in an unknown direction on BMX-style bicycles. No weapons seemed to be present during the robbery.

UAPD officers try to patrol campus equally, but patrols are completely random and depend on factors like resources and what is currently happening on campus, according to Juan Alvarez, UAPD’s public information officer.

UAPD advises people walking through campus at night to avoid talking on cell phones, walk with other people and remain in well-lit areas.

Despite the incident’s proximity, many students said they were not very concerned, or surprised, that it happened. Alain Zysset, a graduate exchange student studying philosophy, said that while he does feel safe on campus, he tries to remain conscious of his surroundings.

“I do feel safe here,” Zysset said. “I work in the Main Library, and I sometimes worry about my laptop because I see too many people going in and out. Otherwise, on campus, I really feel safe.”

Julia Carmen, a physiology junior, also said she felt safe on campus and that she wasn’t particularly surprised by the incident.

“I suppose it’s not completely unusual. That kind of stuff happens in any area,” Carmen said. “I am here at night sometimes, but it doesn’t really make me scared.”

Dan Valdivia, a history junior, said he can understand how some students can feel unsafe walking around campus at night.

“I feel safe here, but I can see how some people may feel uncomfortable,” he said. “It’s not that surprising, I’ve heard gunshots before. Some people probably shouldn’t go out at two in the morning.”

UAPD is encouraging anyone with information on Saturday morning’s robbery to call 911 or 88-CRIME.