Students just throw it in the bag on UA mall

Brandi Walker

Pre-business freshman Andy Evans donates bags of clothes that will be given to Plato’s Closet and TMM Family Services on the UA Mall on Tuesday. Representatives will accept clothes in exchange for cash until Thursday.

Plato’s Closet will host a booth on the UA Mall for another day of its Bag Some Cash event.

“We hope to see more faces and buy more bags; we got the cash, so come on down,” said Lindsay Sushil, store manager of Plato’s Closet on Oracle Road.

The event will continue today and Thursday on the UA Mall from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students can donate a small grocery-sized bag of clothes for $10 or a large bag for $20. 

Plato’s Closet, TMM Family Services, Inc., and the UA Office of Sustainability in conjunction with BolchalkFReY Marketing, Advertising & Public Relations kicked off the first day of the first annual Bag Some Cash event Tuesday.

Brooke Nowak, director of community relations and volunteer coordinator for TMM Family Services, Inc., said she thinks the event went extremely well so far, especially considering their fight with the wind, which prevented them from putting up any signs to highlight either Plato’s Closet or TMM.

“I was impressed with the fact that every single person we talked to was very interested and said immediately that they would be back,” Nowak said. “Several even came back today.”

Connie Knecht, owner of the independently owned and operated Plato’s Closet, said they received a lot of positive feedback from students.

Knecht said she is happy the organization is at the UA so they can give students an opportunity to donate clothes without having to drive, especially considering not all students have cars.

“I’m happy with the amount of bags we’ve gotten so far,” said Knecht, who added they expect to see more students in the next two days.

Sushil said this event really is about recycling and giving back to a great charity, which will benefit the Tucson community. 

“It’s convenient we’re right on campus,” Sushil said, “and it’s an extra way to earn more cash, which I think all college students need.”

Since they aren’t sifting through the bags on the Mall, Plato’s Closet will bring its haul back to the store where it will sort through the clothing. Whatever they are unable to take will be donated to the TMM Community Closet, according to Knecht.

“We are the largest distributor of free clothing to the most needy within the community,” Nowak said.

TMM works with all other social and government agencies and churches within the community. These organizations send their clients to TMM for free clothing, ranging from babies to adults, for both school and work purposes, according to Nowak.

Knecht and Sushil said the Office of Sustainability has been very helpful, especially with marketing. It’s not too late to donate as many bags of clothing as you want, with no limit. The businesses said they are looking to hand out as much cash to students as possible. 

All clothing will be used by either Plato’s closet or TMM Family Services, Inc., Nowak said.

“I have a feeling that tomorrow and Thursday, we’re going to have a great turnout,” Nowak said, “especially if the wind is better.”

_______________

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.