Review: “The Seduction of Grandma” is riot

Courtesy of Comedy Playhouse
    The cast of “The Seduction of Grandma” during the play’s production on Friday, June 24, 2016.

If the name isn’t already enough of a draw, “The Seduction of Grandma” provides audience members with a hilarious comedic performance filled with snarky jokes and family drama, all with a hillbilly twist.

Written by Peré Summers and directed by Nell Summers, the show is put on by The Comedy Playhouse, located at 3620 N. First Ave. “The Seduction of Grandma” is a refreshing two-hour escape that keeps the audience in constant laughter.

When Grandma Daggott meets Anderson Weatherby III, played by Josh Kent, at a speed-dating seminar, the Daggott cousins believe the two have started to date and would soon be married. Worried, the Daggott cousins eavesdrop on Grandma and Weatherby’s conversations and decide to background check Weatherby III. 

Surprised by what they find, the cousins confront Grandma and Weatherby during the last scene of the play. I haven’t spoiled too much—the end of the play takes a surprising turn and leaves the audience in shock.

Grandma Daggott, played by Nell Summers, has a strong, outspoken character and completely brings the play to life. Her comedic take on the role of Grandma Daggott may be close to genius and truly original. Almost every line she delivered had the audience engulfed with laughter.

READ: A Night at the Tucson 23 Mexican Food Festival

The three Daggott cousins—Elle, played by Robin Carson , Jackson, played by Paul Hammack and Wanda Jo, played by Kristen Keck—appear in most of the play’s scenes and primarily build up the show’s plot. 

Jackson Daggott, a taxidermist, often leaves dead animals around the living room. This causes Elle Daggott to deliver the memorable line, “this is the living room, not the dead room,” which brought the audience to tears.

The Comedy Playhouse uses a large room for the performance that appeared to seat around 50 people. The theater was intimate with only three rows of seats, all of which had a clear view of the stage where the performance took place.

The Daggott’s living room and porch made up the set of the stage. The living room portion of the set had portraits of Barbie dolls and clowns on the wall, which added to the plays comical atmosphere. The set changed into another location only when Wanda Jo and Grandma went to a speed-dating seminar. Ironically, Grandma (under the alias ‘Dolly’ for the evening) ended up with more future dates than Wanda Jo.

READ: Newcomers Me Like Bees brought robust, raw rock and roll to Club Congress

Exceeding expectations, “The Seduction of Grandma” has extended to run a weekend longer than originally planned. Due to the show’s popularity and success, the play now continues to run every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at The Comedy Playhouse through July 17.

Tickets sell for $18 for adults and $16 for students, seniors and military. This two-hour long show delivers from start to finish with consistent jokes throughout the production—“The Seduction of Grandma” does not disappoint.

Follow Victoria on Twitter.