Police Beat: February 19

Ice breaker

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested on a confirmed shoplifting warrant from Sahuarita Police Department, after trying to “break the ice” near Park Avenue and Eighth Street at 1:07 a.m. on Thursday.

While conducting a traffic stop, a University of Arizona Police Department officer was flagged down by a motorist, who said a man had stopped her and asked for help, but she felt “scared” by his
    presence and was unsure of what he needed.

Police then went to where the woman had met with the man, and found that he was still there. He told police he had asked the woman for help because she was “hot” and he wanted to “break the ice.” A wants and warrants search confirmed a SPD criminal arrest warrant for failure to appear for an original shoplifting charge.

The individual was then transported and booked into Pima County Jail.

Baby got back

A man was arrested on charges of criminal damage after attempting to crack his back near the University Medical Center at 3:04 p.m. on Feb. 13.

Police responded to the area after a report of a man in a black shirt, wearing a hat, who had damaged a sign near UMC.

Upon arrival, an officer spotted the man walking southbound on Campbell Avenue, before entering a Sun Tran bus. The cop then entered the bus and asked the man, who was accompanied by his girlfriend, to step off and speak with police.

The man appeared to be in “obvious pain, holding his back,” according to the UAPD report.

The man had attempted to crack his back by using a pole near the bus stop for leverage, he told police, before bending the pole.

An officer then went to view the damage and spoke with the person who reported the incident.

The witness said the man had been yelling at a woman and got so mad that he violently shook the pole until it bent to the ground.

When UAPD went to observe the pole, UMC security had already put the item in its original position. The security guard then informed UAPD that his supervisor wanted to be involved with judicial proceedings and press charges for criminal damage.

Tucson Fire Department then evaluated the man for his back problems before UAPD cited and released him for criminal damage.

Off the beaten path

A UA staff member reported criminal damage to Pima County Cooperative Extension at 9:39 a.m. on Feb 13.

Upon arriving to work at 8:30 a.m., the woman noticed tire tracks all over the state land dirt property, in addition to several items damaged by an unknown vehicle.

Tire tracks led to a decorative pole and two wooden posts bordering a garden, which had been damaged by the incident. One of the garden posts was knocked down completely, while the other was partially broken.

In addition to these objects, several plants and “handmade adobe blocks” were damaged.

The damage was valued at $300 and photographs were submitted to evidence. There are currently no suspects or witnesses.