Police Beat: April 2

Bike accident leaves student unconscious

A UA student fell from her bike and was knocked unconscious on University Boulevard and Park Avenue at 1:56 p.m. on March 28.

The incident occurred when the student rode over a long board.

When University of Arizona Police Department officers arrived, Tucson Fire Department officials were evaluating the woman, who was in a neck brace and had a contusion on her head.

The woman’s bike struck the long board after its owner placed it on the ground as he exited a crosswalk. The woman, who wasn’t wearing a helmet, was thrown over her handlebars into a metal sign, where she hit her head, according to the owner of the long board.

The woman’s father was then contacted and she was transported to University of Arizona Medical Center.

Not your ordinary Saltine

A UA student reported another student was having a panic attack in Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall at 12:30 a.m. on March 26.

The reporting party contacted UAPD for medical assistance for a student who was suffering from a fever and “chills.” When police arrived, they found a woman in bed covered by a blanket, requesting care. The student had eaten a marijuana cracker two hours earlier and said her body was “twitching” and that she could not move.

The woman was then evaluated and medically cleared.

The resident of the room, who permitted police to search it, said he had bought the crackers for $20, from an individual he wouldn’t disclose.

The resident assistant was then informed of the situation and the two students were issued a code of conduct violation through the Dean of Student’s office.

Possible laptop theft

A woman reported her laptop stolen from the Architecture building at 3:35 p.m. on March 26.

The incident occurred between 3 p.m. the day before and 9 a.m., when the woman had left her Apple Macbook on a desk in a second-floor public study area.

Several people the day before had reported a suspicious man to the woman. The man was taking photos around the area for an art project, he said. He also told people that he was a UA employee’s son. None of the sources had seen the man near the woman’s desk or take anything from the area, however.

The woman couldn’t provide a description of the suspicious man. She also said she would pursue criminal charges if someone is found responsible for the theft, but there are currently no suspects or witnesses.