‘Cats drop two in SoCal

The tournament struggles continued for the Arizona Wildcats softball team in Fullerton, Calif., during the weekend.

No. 7 Arizona completed the Judi Garman Classic with a slight edge, finishing with a record of 3-2 in five games.

The Wildcats finished on a high note, winning two games to finish the tournament against DePaul and San Jose State. Arizona put a combined 21 runs on the scoreboard during the two games.

Of the three wins, Arizona also recorded two run-rule victories over Louisiana-Lafayette 10-2 on Thursday and San Jose State 14-6 on Saturday.

The Wildcats opened the weekend with a loss against No. 8 Oklahoma on Thursday. Although the it was the second time the Sooners have knocked off Arizona this season, the 5-3 loss was much closer than the previous meeting between the two teams which saw the Wildcats fall 11-1 in five innings at the Kajikawa Classic.

UA played one game on Friday, which resulted in an 8-0 loss to Michigan. Despite the lopsided score, the Wildcats notched as many hits as the Wolverines. Arizona had runners in scoring position in four of the seven innings in the game, but was unable to capitalize. The game stood scoreless until the third inning when Michigan took a 1-0 lead. The score stayed the same until the Wolverines broke the game open with a six-run sixth inning.

The Wildcats have one more weekend of non-conference play before traveling to Stanford to start conference play.