Movers and shakers

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Wildcats downed the Lumberjacks 34-17 Saturday night at Arizona Stadium.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Wildcats downed the Lumberjacks 34-17 Saturday night at Arizona Stadium.

Spring practice provides a time for Arizona football players to make a name for themselves. Outside receivers coach Dave Nichol and defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator Greg Brown give a quick scouting report on guys who have been playing well, making progress or are expected to do big things for the 2010 season.

Dan Buckner, WR

Spring buzz: Buckner has stood out in spring practice and has put forward one of the strongest performances of any UA player so far. He is a work in progress however, since he has to sit out this season after transferring from the University of Texas.

Coach Nichol says: “”The thing about Dan is that he’s a really intelligent person. He’s picked up the offense very quickly because he’s really intelligent. He’s still got a lot of room to go and I’m almost excited that he has to sit a year because he’s got a lot of work to do with me and with Corey Edmond, our strength coach. He’ll be way better a year from now because I think he’ll be bigger and stronger and faster.””

Richard Morrison, WR

Spring buzz: Morrison redshirted last season as a quarterback and was moved to wide receiver just before spring ball started. What was initially thought to be a long-term project has actually turned into a possible quick fix at receiver thanks to the speedster’s exceptional play.

Nichol says: “”We’re really excited about what he can do. I think he’s going to catch a lot of balls here before he leaves, and that’s including next year. He’s got a chance to compete for a job for next year. Richard is the type of guy that’s good for us because he’s a guy that can get in space and make people miss. Even though he’s kind of raw, he’s a guy you want to get the ball and let him do something.””

Terrence Miller, WR

Spring buzz: Miller forfeited his redshirt last season because of his solid play. An illness has stifled his progress, but coaches believe that his size and hands should give them a quality option at inside receiver this season.

Nichol says: “”He’s got mono which is a shame because there’s no doubt that this was going to be a huge spring for him. He’s going to be a first-down guy, move the chains. He’s going to be a smart and savvy inside guy that can break a tackle and get those tough yards.””

Joe Perkins, FS/SS

Spring buzz: Perkins played his way into the lineup last season and saw time at strong safety. His versatility has given the coaches confidence to give him time at free safety and strong safety and his exposure during the spring bodes well for a starting spot in the fall.

Coach Brown says: “”He’s got range, he’s tall, he can run, and he’ll tackle. He’s a tough guy and he’s got some experience back there from last year so it’s a blessing to have him back.””

Adam Hall, FS

Spring buzz: Hall has had tremendous expectations since the day he officially signed his letter of intent, and the full year that has passed since then hasn’t changed a thing. Hall began the spring as the second-string free safety, but his impressive play so far has made starting a possibility.

Coach Brown says: “”He had a terrific scrimmage on Saturday. The guy sticks his face in there and is not afraid to tackle. He’s a big guy, a rangy guy, and he’s going to come along by leaps and bounds.””

Robert Golden, SS

Spring buzz: Golden moved to strong safety last season and made several impact plays. Coaches hope to find more consistency from Golden this season.

Coach Brown says: “”He’s tough. He tackles, he’ll fight for the ball, he’ll contest every play, and he’s a joy being around.””