NBA draft website scouts Williams

NBA draft website scouts Williams

Popular NBA Draft website DraftExpress.com placed Arizona men’s basketball forward Derrick Williams No. 2 on its list of top NBA prospects from the Pacific 10 Conference.

Playing mostly as an undersized freshman center, Williams’ averages of 15.7 points and 7.1 rebounds per game put him on the early-exit map in college basketball. Now, staying on that map all depends on the improvements he shows during his sophomore season.

There are a few reoccurring themes in author Matt Kamalsky’s extensive breakdown of Williams’ game, themes that will determine whether Williams will have a chance to go to the NBA:

• Despite a plethora of highlight-reel-worthy dunks, Williams has some athletic limitations as far as being a prime NBA prospect, Kamalsky said. “”Williams isn’t explosive in the paint, not playing above the rim unless he has at least one step to gather himself but looking more bouncy than you would expect when he does. The California native may not have ideal athleticism for an NBA power forward, but his physical tools fit his game well at the moment.””

• And at the moment, Williams makes up for his under-the-rim game quite well. Obviously, attacking the basket and drawing fouls is a large part of his game, according to Kamalsky. “”He’s good at using his body to shield the ball from his defender, will surprise with his first step, can beat most centers and power forwards off the dribble at the college level, and doesn’t turn it over at a high rate.””

• On the defensive end, Kamalsky said that even though he isn’t a great shot blocker, Williams uses solid fundamentals and toughness. “”Frequently defending the opposing team’s center, Williams goes straight up almost every time his man puts up a shot in the post and does a terrific job reacting to his man’s moves in the post to not give up easy looks. His ability to stay in front of his man helps him on the glass.””

• In the end, Kamalsky writes that if Williams improves his jumper, NBA scouts will begin to place him higher and higher on their draft boards. “”Despite being a bit undersized and just an average athlete, Williams is a premier college player with promises of an NBA future that could grow even brighter if he becomes a reliable midrange threat. “”