In Brief: May 4, 2015

Nepal earthquake relief drive

The UA Nepalese Student Association coordinated a candle vigil on Friday in response to the April 25 earthquake in Nepal. 

Bhuwan Thapa, NSA president, said the event was held in remembrance for the 6,000 deceased victims, which could increase to 10,000 people.

It began with a speech from Thapa recapping the natural disaster followed by a minute of silence and the lighting of the candles.

The candles were placed on a map of Nepal that was spread across the floor. The ceremony concluded with the signing of the Nepalese national anthem.

Rally to support public education

UA and community members from across Tucson expressed their dissatisfaction of Gov. Doug Ducey’s recent budget cuts before he spoke to the Tucson Hispanic Chamber of Commerce at the UA on Friday. 

According to the Arizona Education Watch website, the budget cuts include:

-$99 million cut from all three state universities

-All funding to Pima and Maricopa colleges

-$119 million cut of core funding for district schools

Nancy Montoya-Iljams, cofounder of Arizona Education Watch, said there is a “wide-scale dissatisfaction” and “people are equally unhappy” from Republicans to Democrats.

Montoya added that about 50 people participated, but she did not see any UA students.

OER Day at the UA

According to the UA@work website, “The College Board estimates that the average undergraduate can expect to pay $1,225 for textbooks and supplies in 2014-15” and “seven out of 10 students don’t purchase a required textbook … because of cost.”

David Ernst, the man behind the University of Minnesota’s “Open Textbook Library,” shared his knowledge with UA faculty members at three different informative sessions and workshops on Friday at the Main Library. 

Open educational resources help eliminate the costs of expensive textbooks by providing academic materials that can be copied, shared, printed and customized based on the course.

_______________

Follow David McGlothlin on Twitter.