Cody Dalton has hammer throwing in his blood

Stan Liu/Arizona Athletics
April 8, 2017. Sophomore Cody Dalton during the Jim Click Shootout. Drachman Stadium, Tucson, AZ.

Everyone has a story, and UA track and field athlete Cody Dalton is no different. Born and raised in the small town of Alamo, California to Dennis and Kathy Dalton, Cody began his athletic career at an early age. With his athletic build, it was no surprise that Cody was a natural athlete and would later become a hammer thrower.

His love for sport was unparalleled and continued to grow deeper and deeper the older he became.

Throughout high school, Cody played many sports; basketball, football and track and field at Monte Vista High School in Danville, California, but he found the most enjoyment when participating on the track team. After going through six throwing coaches in four years, Dalton’s final coach at the end of his senior year ended up being his most cherished one: his father, Dennis Dalton.

“My dad was an All American hammer thrower at UC Davis, and I did not like conditioning in football, so I tried out for the track team [in high school] and turned out to be pretty good,” Dalton said.

Cody’s final season at Monte Vista High School was a special one. Dalton had not only his father as the throws coach; his little brother, Dylan, was on track team that year as a thrower, as well.

“It was a blast coaching Cody and his brother Dylan,” Dennis Dalton said. “They were both very different throwers. Cody was big and powerful while Dylan was small but quick, with great form.”

After a high school track meet, Dalton and his family were in their motor home when he received a call from previous UA track and field coach, Craig Carter. Dalton was offered a place on the UA track and field team after his junior season at Monte Vista High School. He gladly accepted the offer and secured his spot as a Wildcat.

Dalton impressed early on during his first season in 2016 as an outdoor collegiate track and field athlete. His personal best in the hammer thrown came at the Jim Click Shootout in 2016. His throw of 50.87 meters (166 feet) is when his collegiate career really took flight.

“My favorite part about the sport is you’re really competing against yourself the whole time,” Dalton said. “It’s not what other people do; it’s about what you do yourself, and that’s really what makes it great.”

During the 2016 season, Cody placed in the top five in three of the four meets in which he competed, and he finished in third place overall in the Willie Williams Classic meet. However, Dalton said he is not satisfied with his performance in 2016.

He is having a phenomenal 2017 outdoor season. Dalton threw his new personal best in the first meet, throwing 53.09 meters (175 feet), already a three-meter improvement from last season.

“I had a great first few meets this season and hope to continue the streak all the way to the end,” Dalton said.

Now in mid-season form, Dalton and the rest of the UA track team are headed to Fort Worth, Texas this Friday for the Horned Frog Invite.

After competing in Texas, Dalton will be travelling to UC San Diego, ASU and finally the Pac-12 Championship in Eugene, Oregon.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter