Shaina Pellington scores career high leading Arizona WBB to big win over Colorado

Caitlin Claypool

Shaina Pellington (1) prepares to make a pass during a game on Thursday, Dec. 9 in McKale Center. Arizona ultimately beat North Dakota State 59-47. 

The Arizona women’s basketball team got a big win against No. 22 Colorado 75-56 on Sunday, Jan. 23. 

Arizona was led by Shaina Pellington and Cate Reese. Pellington had a career-high as a Wildcat with 28 points and shot the ball 77% (10/13) from the field, 100% (2/2) from the 3-point line and 75% (6/8) from the free-throw line. 

Reese scored 23 points and shot the ball 59% (10/17) from the field and 100% (3/3) from the free-throw line. 

Arizona started off slow to start the game and was down by 12 early in the second quarter but fought back to make it a tie game at halftime. The Wildcats continued their momentum in the second half and took control of the game. 

Arizona shot the ball well in the game, shooting 54% (30/56) from the field and 35% (6/17) from behind the arc. 

Arizona barely lost the rebounding battle 31-33, but still gave up 10 offensive rebounds, which led to 10-second chance points for Colorado. 

The Wildcats dominated in the paint, scoring 42 points while Colorado only scored 18 points in the paint. 

Arizona locked up on the defensive end, holding Colorado to 34% (17/50) shooting and 24% (5/21) from the 3-point line. The Wildcats forced 16 turnovers while turning them into 19 points of their own.

The Wildcats go on the road to face Pac-12 rivals UCLA on Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. MST. 

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter