Volleyball swept on the road by both L.A. schools

Daily Bruin
Photo courtesy of Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin Olivia Magill (left) and Taylor Arizobal (right) jump to block the ball against UCLA on Sunday in Los Angeles.

Arizona indoor volleyball (19-11, 9-9 Pac-12) dropped its last two road matches of the season.

The Wildcats lost to No. 8 USC on Friday in three sets (25-22, 25-14, 25-21), and dropped Sunday’s match against UCLA (15-13, 6-12 Pac-12) in three sets as well. Arizona recorded 22 errors for Sunday’s match and was outhit by the Bruins .267 to .175.

Freshman setter Penina Snuka recorded her 16th double-double of the season finishing with 32 assists. Snuka also recorded 12 digs, two kills and a block.

Sophomore middle blocker Olivia Magill’s offense was the best the Wildcats had for the match as she finished hitting .667 with eight kills and a match-high four blocks on her defense.

The first set was tied 26-26 until two of the 22 errors that Arizona recorded clinched the set to let UCLA take it. The Wildcats had the 24-19 lead during the second set but the Bruins battled and had seven straight points to win it.

Arizona was never able to take the lead during the third set, allowing UCLA to win the match.
“It was certainly a disappointing weekend,” head coach Dave Rubio said. “The whole match was frustrating, we were a little anxious on the court.”

Junior outside hitter Madi Kingdon led the Wildcats Friday night recording a double-double with team-high 13 kills and match-high 20 digs. Snuka also had a double-double with a match-high 32 assists and 14 digs. She also finished with two service aces.

Although Arizona outhit USC .341 to .327 in the first set, the Trojans had a few service aces to help win the set.

The Trojans outhit the Wildcats in the second set .395 to .061.

The third set was close as Arizona tried to battle back while USC was leading 12-6. Arizona tied the set 16-16 and each team scored once before USC scored five straight times and gained the lead back.

USC had the 22-17 advantage and only allowed Arizona to score four more points while the Trojans scored their last three to finish the set. Although the team does a good job at home, Arizona’s weakness this season seems to be road matches. The Wildcats are 15-2 at home, but 2-9 on the road.

“We have to learn to play better on the road, that’s the deal for us,” Rubio said.

To finish off the season Arizona will host Stanford on Wednesday at 6 p.m. and ASU on Friday at 5 p.m. in McKale Center.

— Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal