UA programs rank again

Financing junior Callan Smith, left, and marketing senior Rick Potter collaborate together on a marketing project Thursday in the foyer of McClelland Hall.

Editor’s note: Following an internal investigation, the Daily Wildcat is unable to ascertain the existence of students quoted in at least four stories written by reporter Jim Myers. These stories include: “”UA programs rank again,”” on Sept. 26; “”Courting the college vote,”” on Sept. 22; “”Drugs in the Water?”” on Aug. 27; and “”Budget to bring more UA building,”” on Aug. 27. The Daily Wildcat regrets this betrayal of trust. The reporter has been terminated.

The University of Arizona made the list of “”Best 368 Colleges”” in the 2009 edition of The Princeton Review’s college rankings, which rank and list colleges across the nation under a variety of categories. UA was also listed under “”Best Western Colleges”” as well as “”Top Entrepreneurial Programs.””

“”I think a lot of kids in high school know about it and use it,”” said Jason Edwards, an undecided freshman. “”I wouldn’t say most people make decisions based on the rankings alone, but they’re one factor people take into account.””

The Princeton Review, which releases its college rankings annually, is one of the most widely distributed and used college ranking systems in the nation. The results are largely based on the responses from randomly-administered student surveys that focus on topics ranging from academics to school spirit to student life.

“”We want our rankings to reflect the voice of students so people who read them know they’re coming from students that have actually been there,”” said Harriett Brand of The Princeton Review.

A new feature for the 2009 edition of The Princeton Review’s is “”Green Rankings,”” which rate the sustainability practices of each university. The UA was ranked 60th overall in that category.

The program ranked highest at UA was the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship in the Eller College of Management, which was ranked third overall in graduate programs and fourth overall in undergraduate programs.

“”We’ve been here for a long time and we’ve been able to place experience and knowledge over new trends,”” said Sherry Hoskinson, the director for the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship.

The McGuire Center was also ranked highly by the “”U.S. News Ultimate College Guide,”” which placed it second among public institution programs and fifth overall. The guide also ranked UA 94th in the nation overall.

“”Rankings can’t tell you what it will be like to go to college at any given place, so they don’t matter as much as actually going there to check it out,”” said Brett Allen, a history sophomore. “”If you can’t decide between a few places, though, they could be useful.””

Arizona State University, which frequently draws comparisons with UA, was also ranked on the lists “”368 Best Colleges”” and “”Best Western Colleges.”” Although no individual program at ASU made a top 20 list, it was ranked 17th in “”Party Schools”” and 15th in “”Schools Where Students Study the Least.””

Although The Princeton Review and other college ranking systems such as the U.S. News and World Report’s are widely circulated, many school officials debate over the actual importance of the rankings.

“”It doesn’t actually matter how much we weigh them, because others take importance out of them,”” Hoskinson said. “”It almost seems you tend to dilute the value of the rankings the more you wave your flag about them.””