“On the Spot: Mary Myles, pre-business and marketing sophomore”

What is your position at ASUA, and what do you do?

I am an ASUA senator, recently elected last year. What I’m doing right now are the FAFSA workshops. They are going to start Nov. 9, the first session will be from 5 to 6 p.m. and the second from 6:30 to 7:30 in Bio West Room 219.

What are FAFSA workshops? What will I be learning if I went to one of those?

You would learn how to fill out your FAFSA form out, there is going to be faculty walking around to help those who don’t know how to fill their FAFSA out, and also we are going to learn about a new program called Scholarship Universe, which tells you what scholarships and financial aid you’ll be able to qualify for next year.

What’s the point of going to the workshop if I think I already filled out my FAFSA?

It’d be great if you came just to learn a little bit more about financial aid and the new scholarship program which just launched Nov. 1. It’ll teach you how to use Scholarship Universe, it’s a great program for students who don’t think they are able to qualify for aid but it shows you if you’re able to, and what scholarships you could get.

Are you guys doing this because of the tuition increases, is that what jump started these workshops?

Yeah, last year when the Board of Regents increased the tuition and that is basically what started the financial aid workshops. Last year the student body president and one of the directors from Arizona Students Association started these workshops, so I’m just continuing on from last year.

What is it about student government that made you want to do this in college?

I’ve just always loved student government. I’ve done it since I was, like, in kindergarten and I love it so I continued it in college.

In kindergarten what were some of your duties? Passing out snacks, line leader elections?

Me and my friend Tierney actually made a petition because we didn’t like the lunch food. So we had all of our classmates sign the petition and actually had a meeting with the director of Kyrene Food Services.

Were you guys successful?

We actually ended up getting, like, Skittles every Friday or something.

How do you feel about the rules of the healthy vending machine snacks? Did you guys petition that in middle school, too, or … ?

No, I actually was one of the people that probably bought in to the healthy snacks.

— Caroline Nachazel