Women’s tennis splits road trip to Louisiana

Nick Smallwood
Arizona women’s tennis athletes huddle up before a match against the University of San Diego on Feb. 12 in Tucson. Arizona defeated Tulane 6-1 on Feb. 27.

The Wildcats’ road trip to New Orleans was one that brought to light many things about the Arizona women’s tennis team, and also served as a learning curve for head coach Vicky Maes and her young team, as the Arizona women’s tennis team split matches with Louisiana State University and Tulane University.

On Friday, the No. 37 Wildcats fell 5-2 to LSU.

Right from the start, the match went against the Wildcats.

Already down 1-0 on the road, the team failed to take advantage of singles play. Both junior Lauren Marker and senior Shayne Austin fell to their opponents in straight sets.

“We played well enough today to be in the match, but not well enough to capitalize on the opportunities we had,” said Vicky Maes in a press release.

On Saturday, the team rebounded with a 6-1 thrashing of Tulane.

The team learned from their mistakes on Friday and sharpened up their play, putting in a performance that Maes is more accustomed to seeing out of them.

Unlike the LSU match, the Wildcats were successful in winning the doubles, which gave them an early lead against a less-than-stellar Tulane squad.

Then the “MAC” took over from there, as Austin, Marker and Samantha Czarniak all won their singles matches, giving Arizona its ninth win of the season and getting the team back on track.

Freshman Camila Wesbrooks also put in a solid outing, not only in this match, but in the weekend as whole.

Arizona next begins the start of Pac-12 play when it hosts Stanford on Friday.

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter.