Review: Miike Snow lit up downtown Tucson Friday night

Simon Asher

Andrew Wyatt, lead singer for the band Miike Snow, looks out onto the crowd at The Rialto Theatre, Friday Oct. 7. Miike Snow, an indie-pop group that formed in 2007, is comprised of three musical artists.

Swedish-American band Miike Snow came to The Rialto Theatre Friday night for one of the last stops on the band’s tour.

The band, which was touring album iii, its first release in three years, packed the 1,400-person capacity venue. Fans of all ages came out, ranging young children to young adults to middle-aged people. Kids wore band t-shirts as their parents escorted them around the venue.

Tour-opener Zella Day kicked off the night. A native of Pinetop, Arizona, Day now lives in Los Angeles. She did a good job capturing the crowd’s attention, but make no mistake — the people were there for Miike Snow.

RELATED: Review: Energetic St. Lucia hit The Rialto Theatre but the Tuesday crowd couldn’t keep up

Miike Snow consists of Andrew Wyatt, Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg.

Wyatt, an American singer and multi-instrumentalist, has worked with Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson, among other artists.

Together, Karlsson and Winnberg make up the production duo Bloodshy & Avant. They have worked with pop acts in the likes of Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue and Madonna, to name a few. Karlsson also works with producer Style of Eye under the name Galantis. The band brought a fourth musician for its live set, though, along with a technician who made trippy light projections against three columns at the back of the stage.

Miike Snow played 14 songs over the course of its hour-and-20-minute show. The setlist was a good mix of tracks pulled from all three of its albums —Miike Snow, Happy to You and iii.

RELATED: S U R V I V E, the band behind the ‘Stranger Things’ soundtrack, brought its dark sound to Tucson

Fans sang and danced along to songs including iii’s “Genghis Khan” and Happy to You’s “Paddling Out.” The crowd loved every minute of the band’s performance. Songs from its 2009 self-titled debut drove the crowd especially wild.

Miike Snow’s debut album was a large part of my own personal soundtrack between 2009 and 2011. Hearing the band perform “Burial,” “Sylvia” and “Black & Blue” was a chilling experience.

The band’s most popular song, “Animal,” closed out the encore, which wasn’t any surprise. When Wyatt turned the microphone away from himself and pointed it at the crowd, asking them to sing along, the entire venue came through, loud and clear.

Miike Snow more than felt the love from the thankful Tucson crowd.

“Thank you so much,” Wyatt said. “You’ve been a wonderful audience.” 

Follow Nina Ulloa on Twitter