Campus Guide: Under-21 hangouts

Justice Amarillas
A collection of work featured in the Tucson Museum of Art exhibition, “Into The Night.” The exhibition explores the beauty of the evening sky and offers a discounted admission to students.

Editor’s note: This article was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!  

While Tucson is a vibrant university town filled with events and things to do, a lot of fun can seem to be all about nightlife and drinking. For those who are under 21, this doesn’t have to limit your night out — there is still plenty to do to have fun, even if you can’t enjoy a drink in a local pub.

RELATED: Wildcat culture in the making

Customers shopping at the fourth ave Goodwill look through blouses. The store gives discounts to its customers from weekly deals to daily deals.

Shopping

Historic Fourth Avenue has several local shops that each offer their own personality to the vibrant neighborhood. These include Hippie Gypsy, a psychedelic-themed shop that will transport you to the 1960s, Pop Cycle, a recycle-themed shop that offers trinkets and fashion to its customers and the Rustic Candle Company, a candle boutique that sells locally-made candles and incense. 

There are also several thrift shops located near campus including Goodwill on Fourth Avenue, Tucson Thrift Shop on Fourth, Buffalo Exchange on Speedway Boulevard and Gypsy Emporium located downtown on Court Avenue. 

Coffee and Restaurants

After shopping, you can enjoy a cup of coffee at one of the many cafés on and around campus. From Caffe Luce and Epic Cafe to Chocolate Iguana or Shot in the Dark Cafe, each coffee shop brings something unique to the community. 

If coffee’s not your thing, go for a bite at an eatery near campus, like Italian restaurant Caruso’s, Lindy’s on Fourth, Bison Witches, B-Line Cafe or even Chipotle. 

The Hotel Congress houses a club scene that offers live music and a vibrant dancefloor. Hotel Congress was originally constructed to house train travelers passing through Tucson and is celebrating it’s 100th anniversary in 2019.

Music and Events

If you are in the mood for a live event, there are several music venues close to campus. Live bands also perform in coffee shops or on sidewalks downtown. 

You can also attend a movie at the Loft Cinema, located on Speedway, which shows classic movies along with new releases and special events. There are also Cinemark Theaters in town that show the latest releases and offer a student discount.

There are several record shops in the Fourth Avenue/downtown area, including Wooden Tooth Records, Studio G Vinyl Records and Old Paint Records. All housing a mix of new and old music, there is bound to be something that sparks your interest. 

RELATED: Campus Services: From A to Z

Miscellaneous

If any of the above is not your cup of tea, there are also several amusement-specific spots around town. From participating in an escape room to going bowling, or even putting on your roller skates and heading to Skate Country, there are several places around town to enjoy a fun night with friends. 

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter