Around Town

Around Town

Wednesday, Sept. 2

“”Double Dare.”” No, it’s not that Nickelodeon game show. This documentary follows the true-life adventures of two movie stuntwomen who took falls for the stars of “”Xena”” and “”Wonder Woman.”” Presented by the Women’s Resource Center. Gallagher Theater, Student Union Memorial Center. 7 p.m. Free.

Johnny Winter. Ranked No. 75 in Rolling Stone’s list of the top 100 guitarists of all time, Winter is probably the only artist you’ll get to see any time soon who actually performed at Woodstock. The real Woodstock, not the 1999 one you might have seen featured on one of VH1’s “”Worst Moments in Rock”” specials. All ages. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St. 8 p.m. $27 in advance. $32 at the door.

Jose Saavedra. A Tucson resident, this Puerto Rican singer’s music reflects his interest in human rights and social justice. His latest album is “”Ver Cada Ver.”” Visit www.josesaavedra.com for more information. Plush, 340 E. 6th St. 9:30 p.m. Free.

Thursday, Sept. 3

Cinema La Placita Outdoor Movies. If you’ve seen “”The Wedding Planner”” starring Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey, then you’re familiar with the scene in the park where they pick out the artificially colored M&Ms as a movie plays in the background. Well, it can happen in real life. Located in Tucson’s La Placita Village, there will be showings of classic movies (and handouts of free popcorn), every Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. until Oct. 29, 2009. Today’s feature is “”The Hustler,”” the 1961 classic starring Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason as two tough-talking pool players, Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats. 110 S. Church Ave. Admission is a $3 donation per person. Call 326-5282 for more information.

Friday, Sept. 4

OUR PICK:

HoCoFest Music Festival. Now in its fifth year, this festival, presented by Hotel Congress, not only features music from more than 40 local artists, food, a fashion show, a family festival and the Tucson Area Music Awards (TAMMIES), but it also encourages support for sustainable and eco-friendly measures. Artists playing include X’s John Doe and Exene Cervenka, Golden Boots, Meat Puppets, Al Perry, Calexico and Los Gallegos. Kumbayah! The festival happens Sept. 4-6, 2009, at Hotel Congress (311 E. Congress St.). Admission is free during the day; $10 at night; and weekend pass is $25. Visit http://hocofest.com/ for specific performance times. Call 247-4141 for more information.

Saturday, Sept. 5

Rendezvous On Fourth Ave. The eclectic mix that is Fourth Avenue will be on display as the Fourth Avenue Merchants Association presents a free fashion show by local clothing stores. There’s live music too. The event will be held from 4-9 p.m. on Fourth Avenue and Ninth Street.

Animal Jamboree, or, How Families Aren’t Made. This art exhibit features prints from students Nicolas Bunch and Amanda E. Pants and will be held at the Center for Creative Chaos, located on 739 N. 4th Ave. The show starts Sept. 5 at 7 p.m. and continues through October. Gallery is open from 1-8 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.

Labor Day Jazz All-Star Celebration of Motown. The Jackson 5. Smokey Robinson. Marvin Gaye. The Supremes. The common denominator for these artists is their connection to the legendary Motown record label. AZ Entertainment and Events presents a tribute concert celebrating the 50th anniversary of Motown records. The concert starts at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Westin La Paloma Resort, 3800 E. Sunrise Dr. For those staying the night, there’s a Sunday brunch concert too. Tickets range from $35 to $75. Call 429-9803 for more information.

OUR PICK: 

Labor Day Floating Picnic. Despite its desert characteristics, Arizona offers some fun for the water lovers in the state. Salt River Tubing and Recreation presents the Labor Day Floating Picnic and “”Salt River Heroes = Litter Zero”” event to promote keeping Arizona clean and litter free. Though this is in Mesa, it is a close-by option for those uninterested in more vacation spending. You can tube from Saturday through Monday. The all-day rate for a tube is $15 per person (cash only) and there’s live entertainment from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day of the event. Visit http://www.saltrivertubing.com/ for more information.

Sunday, Sept. 6

Ho’omana Hula Show. Don’t try to spell it; just go. Call 777-5134 for more information. Inn Suites Hotel, Copper Room, 475 N. Granada Ave. 5 p.m. $20 for adults, $10 for kids 10 and younger.

Jeff Kashiwa. Into jazz? Interested in getting into jazz? Interested in being one of those people who’s interested in getting into jazz? The Tucson Jazz Society presents one of contemporary jazz’s most acclaimed saxophone players. Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, 7000 N. Resort Rd. 7 p.m. Tickets range from $10 to $175; visit tucsonjazz.org for more information.

Sleepy Cheeks. This group — which features a trombone player — has been compared to the likes of Captain Beefheart, Ween and Cake. Just goes to show that even if you’re hanging out in town for Labor Day Weekend, Fourth Avenue still has events to offer. Plush, 340 E. 6th St. 9:30 p.m. Free.

Monday, Sept. 7

OUR PICK:

Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run. So your summer fitness aims didn’t go as planned? Use this opportunity to jumpstart your fall fitness routine or to train for upcoming marathons. Hosted by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners Association, this 8-mile run (and 2-mile family run/walk) will be held at Saguaro National Park East, 3693 S. Old Spanish Trail Rd. Participants will get to enjoy food catered by Sunflower Farmer’s Market. Registration is from 5-6 a.m. and the race starts at 6:30 a.m. Visit http://www.azroadrunners.org/events/saguaro.html for more information.

“”The Beach Girls and the Monster.”” Featuring the “”boss bongo tunes of Frank Sinatra, Jr.”” as well as a beyond-ridiculous rubber monster, this 1965 send-up of beach movies hasn’t gotten good press. But who knows — today’s audiences might appreciate its subtle artistry. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. 8 p.m. $2.

Tuesday, Sept. 8

Metalhead. Feeling nostalgic for the days of high-voiced rock bands with bad haircuts? You could turn on the radio, or you could head over to the Cactus Moon Cafe and see this surprisingly convincing cover band knock out versions of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi radio staples. 5470 E. Broadway Blvd. 8 p.m. $5. Call 748-0049 for more information.

Paolo Nutini. This Scottish singer’s influences include Al Green, Jim Morrison and the White Stripes. How’s that for variety? Visit myspace.com/paolonutini for more information. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St. All ages. 8 p.m. $21 in advance, $24 day of show.