Unadilla woman killed in Sidney

An 83-year-old Unadilla woman waiting to have her hair done Thursday at a Sidney salon died when a car went through a wall of the business, which was part of a residence, Sidney police said.

The accident occurred at about 2:10 p.m. at the house of Ron and Lynn Tuttle at 1 Seneca St. The name of the woman who died was not released pending notification of relatives,Sidney Police Chief Michael Hood said.

The car was traveling east on East Pearl Street in the village when the accident occurred at the corner house.

The driver, Kelvin McKnight, 44, of Sidney, was transported to Tri-Town Regional Hospital in Sidney with non-life-threatening injuries, Hood said. The cause is still under investigation, but Hood said drugs and alcohol were not suspected.

The Unadilla woman was declared dead at the scene by Delaware County Medical Examiner Dr. Richard Ucci.

Ron Tuttle spoke about the accident at about 6 p.m.

He was working at the nearby Amphenol plant when he got a call from a neighbor saying there had been an accident.

His wife, who runs the Corner Cut shop, was in the business when the accident happened.

The car came through the southern wall of the house and exited through the eastern wall, before it came to rest on the front lawn, he said. The Sidney Fire Department propped up the corner of the house to prevent further damage.

The police were assisted at the scene by the fire department and the state police collision reconstruction unit.