Poets and flamenco ring in the new Poetry Center

The UA Poetry Center recently moved to the Helen S. Schaefer building, 1508 E. Helen St. The center is throwing a housewarming party on Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

What does the rise in tuition money actually get students? Well, besides Wi-Fi, the UA has moved the Poetry Center, creating a library that can boast having one of the largest and most renowned poetry collections in the nation.

Even if you aren’t in the College of Humanities or even a poet, students and guests can appreciate the new center.

“”The Poetry Center is really quite amazing,”” said Jaren Watson, an intern at the center. “”I’ve attended several undergraduate universities and have never seen anything like it.””

The process of building a new center started almost a year ago. Now in the Helen S. Schaefer building, 1508 E. Helen St., it is the home to more than 60,000 pieces of work including volumes of poetry, journals and periodicals, photographs, and audio and video recordings.

The Poetry Center was founded in 1960. It has been an active sponsor for all things poetry: readings, lectures, classes, workshops, poets, contests and exhibits.

“”It’s mostly poetry, obviously, but as a fiction writer, I’m impressed with the vast collection of contemporary literary journals,”” Watson said. “”I could read stories here all day long and not sample half of what’s available.””

The center is throwing a housewarming festival Sunday. Starting at noon, guests can listen to readings by poets Alberto Rios, Robert Hass, Billy Collins and Steve Orlen.

The center will also host performances by Flam Chen, Odaiko Sonora and flamenco dancers, as well as local musicians.

Children attending may also partake in chalk art, face-painting booths, bookmaking and a children’s theater run by Stories that Soar.

The free event will have light refreshments and food available. It runs from noon to 5 p.m.