Wildcats go 3-0 At Arizona Desert Classic

This is the first weekend in the season that the Arizona volleyball team has swept its competition after the Wildcats defeated American, 3-0 (25-16, 25-21, 25-11) in the final game of the Arizona Desert Classic at McKale Center.

Middle blocker Olivia Magill and opposite Halli Amaro solidified the offense.

“It was really nice to see Olivia get pretty much a kill every time she swung,” junior libero Candace Nicholson said. “We get to put Halli, one of our best attackers, on the right so our options are just limitless.”

Sophomore starters Madi Kingdon, Rachel Rhoades, and Taylor Arizobal led the way and proved that the help from the younger players was all the team needed to sweep the competition.

“The distribution offensively is much better, the fact that we can set the middles and get some offense out of the middle is a big deal for us,” head coach Dave Rubio said. “Before they were pretty much non-existent.”

Freshman setter Lauren Fuller secured her spot at the net as she showed she fares well under pressure and connected well with the hitters.

“Lauren is a much better game player than she is at practice which is good and bad but she’s kind of unfazed out there. I don’t think she had a problem and she did a really nice job,” Rubio said.

Three additional wins now boosts Arizona’s record to 8-3. Candace Nicholson was named tournament MVP after recording 39 digs in three games during the Arizona Desert Classic.

“It felt really good being able to get involved in the match and being set a lot,” Magill said. “I feel like we have a consistent have a consistent energy on the court now.”

Arizona heads back to McKale Center on Tuesday to open conference play against rival Arizona State.