UA Track & Field gears up for indoor championships at NAU tune-up

Simon Asher
Arizona’s Katie Daily runs towards the high jump during a meet in the NAU Skydome on Friday, Feb. 16 in Flagstaff, Ariz.

The Arizona track team competed at the NAU Tune-Up on Friday, Feb. 16, in Flagstaff, Arizona. The meet marked the end of the regular season for the Wildcats. 

A handful of athletes represented the Arizona track and field program with junior sprinter Brena Andrews grabbing the headlines. 

After qualifying for the 60-meter dash finals with a time of 7.52 seconds, Andrews set a new PR hitting the 7.35 mark, clinching a first place finish. 

Four other Wildcats earned top of the podium honors as well. 

Tatum Waggoner climbed to the No. 26 spot on the NCAA list for the 400-meter dash, racing past the finish line, boasting a new PR of 53.27. 

Justice Summerset and Karla Teran dominated the competition in the high jump – hitting 2.15m and 1.80m, respectively. Both sophomores will look to continue their winning ways next weekend at the Mt. Pac Championships. 

Fellow field athlete Jordan Geist, who was recently named to The Bowerman Mid-Indoor Watchlist – which is considered track and field’s highest honor – didn’t participate in his best event (shotput), but still managed to place second in the men’s weight throw eclipsing a distance of 18.26m. 

Other Wildcats submitting notable performances on Friday included redshirt-senior sprinter Isaac Hing in the 60-meter dash, and junior transfer Thea Ramsey in the women’s mile. 

After posting a PR of 6.86 in the qualifying rounds, Hing finished 7th in the final heat of the 60-meter dash.

Ramsey, who spent her first two seasons at Division II University of Tampa, outran fellow Wildcat Sarah Tyler to finish in fourth with a time of 5:23.65. 

Arizona will return to the track this upcoming weekend in Seattle, Washington where they will compete in the Mt. Pac Championships at Dempsey Indoor Stadium. 

The Wildcats should be relatively familiar with the terrain – it’s already their third trip to Emerald City this year. 

Follow Rob Kleifield on Twitter