Students ‘Dash for Darfur’

Valentina Martinelli /Arizona Daily Wildcat 

Students and faculty take off for the 5k run/walk as part of Dash for Darfur. The event was put on by a student division of an anti-genocide coalition, UA-STAND, next to the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center to raise awareness for Darfur.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli /Arizona Daily Wildcat Students and faculty take off for the 5k run/walk as part of Dash for Darfur. The event was put on by a student division of an anti-genocide coalition, UA-STAND, next to the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center to raise awareness for Darfur.

Students took their marks on the lawn near the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center Sunday morning. They were there for a 5K run/walk to raise awareness for Darfur.

An anti-genocide coalition, UA-STAND, the student-led division of the Genocide Intervention Network, held it’s first big event in the form of the Dash for Darfur.

Tickets were $15 before the race and $20 on race day. There was a free T-shirt for those who registered early.

There were also prizes for first, second and third place.

Sarah Anand, an economics and political science sophomore, gave a speech before the race, thanking the runners and updating them about Darfur.

Anand said that the genocide in Darfur has resulted in the deaths of over 400,000 people and displacement of over 2.5 million people. She said that while some progress has been made, violence is still occuring in Darfur.

This is STAND’s first year at the UA. The group has been working with the Invisible Children movement in Northern Uganda as well as collecting signatures for peaceful elections in Sudan.

“”Me and a few of the other officers actually went to the same high school. We were officers in STAND and were involved since it began in our high school,”” said Aeen Asghar, a member of STAND.

Runners enjoyed being able to support and raise awareness for the cause.

“”It’s nice to do a race for a good cause; usually I feel like your money just goes to a T-shirt and a banana,”” said Elizabeth Ferris, a public health graduate student.

Three of the runners dressed in convict costumes to help draw attention to the cause.

Brandon Alkire, an astronomy sophomore and STAND member, said he was pleased with the turnout and that students on campus were thinking globally instead of locally.

“”It’s important for (students) to know there’s more going on than what’s in their backyard,”” Alkire said.