Food options for the frugal

While worrying about an empty stomach shouldn’t be a top concern for incoming freshmen, it never hurts to know where to take that first hot date out for a meal.

There are countless restaurants and eateries on and around campus that will definitely merit a visit this coming fall.

For that hungry student who is on a tight schedule, the Student Union Memorial Center is always a safe bet when in need of a quick meal. The Union’s food court will provide for one’s fast food needs with Burger King, Panda Express, Chick Fil-A and Papa John’s Pizza.

In addition, On Deck Deli and IQ Fresh offer a variety of wraps, sandwiches and smoothies. If you find yourself with a little extra time, make sure to check out Three Cheeses and a Noodle, a sit-down restaurant that specializes in home-cooked meals that won’t break the bank.

For students that have a little more time on their hands, University Boulevard has a multitude of restaurants that cater to the hunger pangs of the UA student body. For the late night munchies or just a good afternoon snack, check out Silver Mine Subs located at the corner of University Boulevard and Tyndall Avenue. Anthony Ohnesorgen, the daytime manager at Silver Mine, recommends one of two student favorites.

“”The Georgetown is a cold sub with turkey breast, bacon, provolone, avocado and ranch, while the Cripple Creek sub is hot with grilled chicken breast, bacon, provolone and ranch,”” Ohnesorgen said.

Sandwiches and subs generally cost between four and eight dollars.

In addition to a good sub, Silver Mine cuts students a break if they remember to bring their CatCard.

“”If you spend $5 or more, you get a free drink if you have your CatCard,”” Ohnesorgen said.

If subs aren’t your meal of choice, never fear. University Boulevard provides the hungry student with a multitude of restaurant choices.

On the corner of Park Avenue and University Boulevard, The Fat Greek provides students with authentic Greek food.

“”Our most popular menu item is the gyro wrap and fries,”” said Fred Smith, a cook and clerk at the restaurant. “”We offer a variety of meat in our gyros, including the traditional lamb and chicken for anyone who doesn’t like red meat.””

In addition to their gyros the restaurant prides itself on its inexpensive, yet filling, salads. The Fat Greek is offering a $5 special on its gyros and Greek salads for the first week of school this fall.

For pizza lovers, make sure to check out either Frog ‘n Firkin or No Anchovies!, two restaurants that sit adjacent to each other on University Boulevard.

Frog ‘n Firkin offers a menu that features a wide variety of burgers, pizza and appetizers.

John Piadis, a bartender and server at Frog ‘n Firkin, recommends the Sonoran Firkin, a pizza with BBQ chicken, jalapenos, red onions, green peppers and cheddar cheese.

The Frog ‘n Firkin Summer Stimulus Deal offers half off all appetizers during the day and will last into late September.

No Anchovies! specializes in brick-fired pizzas that cost $3.50 a slice.

“”Our most popular pizza is the Hot Wing Pizza, which is topped with chicken marinated in buffalo sauce, with blue cheese on top,”” said Jason Whitlock, a cook at the restaurant.

For a healthy breakfast or lunch, make sure to check out Joel’s Bistro that is tucked away in a corner on University Boulevard next to Starbucks.

“”During the week, we have a $5 breakfast menu that offers pancakes, fruit, keesh and pastries,”” said Amanda Lopez, an employee at the bistro.

With a wide variety of restaurants to choose from, incoming freshmen will have their hands full trying to decide where to eat.