POLICE BEAT 01/16/18

Alex McIntyre
A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by near the Koffler building on the UA campus.

Honest Criminals 

Officers responded to a narcotics report at the Honors College residence hall, Árbol de La Vida, on Monday, Jan. 8. At approximately 9:18 p.m., the resident assistant showed them the room that was omitting the offending odor.

The officers reported smelling burnt marijuana at the door. A male student in his early 20s answered and allowed the officers to come in. Once inside, the officers introduced themselves and stated their case. In response, the student said he had smoked marijuana about 20 minutes earlier.

After being read his Miranda Rights and verbally confirming he understood them, the student told the officers he had smoked marijuana “out of a bowl.” Upon being asked, he produced the bowl from a leather bag behind his bed. He then granted the officers permission to search his room. 

The two officers found a hard plastic container and a digital scale both covered in marijuana residue and a pack of rolling papers. The student claimed the scale was to make sure he wasn’t shorted when purchasing marijuana.

He told the officers he bought the pot in Phoenix and had smoked in the room on previous occasions.

A plastic bag over the room’s smoke detector was noted. The student explained that he had covered it up in order to smoke. He acknowledged knowing he was not to smoke marijuana on campus. 

The officers confiscated the paraphernalia and completed a referral for student diversion to the Dean of Students.

Maybe not Milwaukee’s Best

An officer was dispatched to the UA Rincon Track and Field Complex on Plumer Avenue on Friday, Jan. 5, in response to a suspicious person alert. At approximately 4:33 p.m., the officer encountered an older male who met the given description – long sleeve orange shirt, jeans and a black bicycle.

The suspect was sitting on his bicycle, leaning against the field’s fence and holding a white plastic bag. The officer approached the man and asked what he was doing. He answered, “I’m drinking a beer,” and showed the officer the 32-ounce Milwaukee’s Best Ice inside the bag.

The male identified himself to the officer and said he lived two blocks away. The officer advised him of the Arizona Revised Statute for consuming liquor in public. The offender then explained his doctor had advised him to exercise more and that he liked to have a beer when he rode his bike to exercise. 

The man was cited and released for consuming spirituous liquor in public. The officer highly recommended the subject walk home instead of ride. The beer was confiscated, photographed and disposed of. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter