Creations Boutique on 4th is a “whimsical bohemian dream”

Alex McIntyre

Afternoon light falls on the merchandise in Creations Boutique on Fourth Avenue on Thursday, Oct. 1. The Fourth Avenue location is the store’s original, but the company has expanded to include another storefront on Tucson’s east side, and a Tempe location is slated to open soon.

On a hot Wednesday afternoon along Fourth Avenue, employees of Creations Boutique are hard at work styling mannequins and creating an ambiance for the display window to make their fall merchandise shine. 

Merchandising manager Caitlin Cramer is responsible for the creative direction in these displays, and she said her inspiration comes from the clothes themselves and the environment we live in. 

The clothes that are now up for display at the window are accompanied by different types of cactus, pieces of wood and twigs to give the display a desert vibe that Cramer describes as a “whimsical bohemian dream.”

Cramer has been working at Creations for a year now after working for a corporate retailer for five and a half years. She said that because she was born and raised in Tucson, she had always wanted to work in a local shop. 

“I found Creations—we found each other, I should say—and I’ve been here ever since, and I love it,” Cramer said. “I love working for something local, something that is Tucson-oriented.”

Store manager Jessica Wilson also has experience in a corporate company, and she said that her two years at Creations have made it the “best job” she’s ever had. 

Wilson said that Creations opened back in 1971 by owners who are based out of Phoenix. The first Creations Boutique is the location on Fourth, and Wilson said it is very special to them. The boutique has managed to maintain the bohemian style of the ’70s, but still keeps up with the trends. Aside from the bohemian-style clothing, Cramer said the store’s clothing also has classic and simple pieces. 

“So much of it is also traditional, like denim jackets or basic V-neck tees or vintage denim shorts,” Cramer said. “I think it’s key pieces mixed in with fashion pieces that we have that gives us a really great balance for our customers. So someone can come in wanting a T-shirt, jeans and sandals, and another person coming in directly after them could want a totally head-to-toe, fashion-forward outfit for a Friday night out.”

Wilson explained that the owners go to different countries, such as India, China and London, to buy prints. They enjoy prints, and it keeps the bohemian style consistent throughout their collection of clothes. 

The accessories sold in the boutique—such as statement-piece necklaces, head chains and arm bracelets—also contribute to the hippie style of the shop and Fourth Avenue. Not only is there a variety of clothing going on in the store, but the crowds it brings in also come from different walks of life. 

Wilson recalled instances when older customers entered the store and reminisced about shopping at Creations during their times at Tucson High School. She also explained that the younger crowd loves to go in for festival outfits.

“We have college girls who come in especially for Coachella,” Wilson said. “They’ll buy festival stuff, and then we just have the hippie Fourth Avenue people—Just an eclectic mix.”    

Both women said they believe that when you enter Creations, there is a friendly and homey feel to the store. Wilson said they definitely keep that boutique vibe in their store and make it a “hip, cool, fun atmosphere.” Cramer claimed that customers can always feel like themselves in the shop and said she loves to chat with the customers to get to know them personally. 

“The whole team here really gets to know our customers,” she said. “That’s one of the amazing things about working for a local retailer, is you have the time to get to know your community.”

Creations Boutique opened a second store on the east side. They will have their first anniversary on Oct. 10 and will celebrate with a 20 percent off sale. Their third location will open in Tempe in the beginning of November.

Follow Erika Parra on Twitter.