“Burnett, Myers Pac-10 swimmers of the year”

Simon Burnett
    Simon Burnett

The Pac-10 swimming awards were announced last Wednesday, and Arizona had a more than impressive showing. The Wildcats took two of the player of the year swimming honors, and head coach Frank Busch was named the Pac-10 women’s Coach of the Year.

Junior swimmer Whitney Myers was named Pac-10 Swimmer of the Year. The Oxford, Ohio, native took two titles at this year’s NCAA Championships and one Pacific 10 Conference title. She won the Pac-10 title in the 400-yard individual medley in 4:14.18, following that up at the 2006 NCAA Championships with the 400y and 200y individual medley titles.

In addition, Myers lent her talents to two winning relay teams at the NCAA Championships. She swam for the 400y freestyle relay team that broke the NCAA, pool and school records with a time of 3:12.77. Myers also swam a leg for the title-winning 400y medley relay team, helping the team to finish with a time of 3:31.70.

She is a finalist for the swimming and diving Honda Sport Award, which, if she won, would make her the top collegiate woman athlete for swimming and diving in the country.

Senior Simon Burnett was named the Pac-10 men’s Swimmer of the Year. Burnett won the won the 200y freestyle crown, which he defended. He also broke his own NCAA record and the pool record. In addition, his title-winning swim broke the U.S. Open record with the time of 1:31.20.

Burnett is now a three-time national champion in this event. He also swam for three relay teams that won titles at the 2006 NCAA Championships. He swam for the record-breaking 200y medley relay in 1:23.88. That time was good enough for new pool and school records.

Burnett contributed to the title, winning 800y freestyle relay team and the 400y freestyle relay team as well.

Busch’s win was the sixth in his career coaching the Wildcats. He led the women’s team to a third-place finish at the NCAAs and gave them their second Pac-10 title in school history.

The voting for each of these awards was all done by the coaches in the Pac-10.