Mail Bag

Gardner event an inspiration to all

I would like to commend UApresents for their exceptional selection of Thursday’s performance. Writer of the memoir and inspiration for the film “”The Pursuit of Happyness,”” Chris Gardner blew me away with his motivational words and stories at Centennial Hall.

I am not sure how to describe the show other than to say that it was incredible and significantly surpassed my expectations. Gardner spoke of his struggles in taking care of his baby boy while homeless, seeking out a stock brokerage position with no college degree and making it in the world with absolutely no assistance from anyone. His way of overcoming adversity was amazing, and the fact that he is owner and CEO of Christopher Gardner International Holdings, which has generated millions, is an inspiration to all.

Another positive aspect of the performance was Gardner’s willingness to genuinely engage with the audience. After wrapping up his speech, Gardner spent over a half-hour answering questions from audience members, and then proceeded to sign autographs.

Initially, I assumed Gardner would not have the time to do so. He really impressed me when he allowed audience members to take advantage of their experience and devoted more time to them than most visiting performers.

The only thing that would have improved the event would have been if it were better advertised. More people would have attended, and the profits went toward The Primavera Foundation. I saw nothing about Gardner’s performance in the Arizona Daily Wildcat, and because of this, a lot of people missed out on the great experience I had. With that, go see the film and read the book, and be on the lookout for the next UApresents event since this one was so valuable!

Laura Donovan creative writing freshman

Muslims have right to defend their land, too

After reading Ahmad Saad Nasim’s letter “”Israeli Incursion in Lebanese Justified,”” I was left with one thought: He is a Muslim. A point he made sure to make several times throughout the article. As a true Muslim, and half-Lebanese, half-Palestinian at that, this is the most ignorant piece of writing I have ever read, even if it was from a “”Muslim.””

The fact that he never brought up the two soldiers being initially kidnapped for the sake of being used as bargaining chips, or the fact that Israel had been planning this war of “”self-defense”” for 10 years prior to any sort of Hezbollah aggression, just questions how much this Muslim knew. But what the hell, he is Muslim, why does he need facts?

Lebanon has approximately 3.5 million people. On a per-capita basis, that means the rough equivalent of 9/11 has happened every day there for eight days, as reported by the editor of The Daily Star in Lebanon.

At what point do people step back and realize this isn’t a religious issue, that Israel has literally been violating the rights of Palestinians, Lebanese, Jordanians, Syrians, Egyptians and all other groups that do not bend down, or over, to its supreme power.

At what point does a nation that receives $74,157,600,000 in foreign aid and has military capabilities the U.S. doesn’t even have become held accountable for war crimes?

Ahmad the Muslim asks you what you would do if you were Israel. I have a better question: What would you do if you were marched out of your village, watching it being bulldozed to the ground, watching your country, your family, your civilization being demolished, as the world silently agrees? Do you move to America, sell out, and write articles judging those living in situations unimaginable in 2007? Or do you take action, no matter the cost. Do you speak out, or do you silence yourselves like the rest?

If Israel has a right to defend itself, at what point do nations such as Lebanon and Palestine have a right to defend themselves from Israel? Sorry this is another Muslim talking about how my people are being murdered every day, and asking why we compare atrocities to each other, and gauge how much we care on lives lost.

How token of me to defend my people in Lebanon and Palestine. Maybe Ahmed the Muslim has forgotten what has been taken from our people. But this Muslim hasn’t.

Jamil Anouti political science freshman media representative, Muslim Student Association

Napolitano’s commitment to troops ‘not common’

I want to say thanks for Matt Stone’s great article about the governor’s trip to Iraq (“”Napolitano goes for truth over consequences””). She met with one of my brothers who is stationed in Kuwait right now. She told my brother that she would call my parents and thank them for the sacrifice being made for our country.

She followed through and did indeed call my dad and spoke with my parents for 5-10 minutes. She was shocked when she found out my parents have three sons serving in the Arizona National Guard in Iraq right now and was sincere in her gratitude. This is not common for a politician.

Stone’s article had some really good insight that needs to be explained to more people. We don’t hear enough of the positive things happening over there. War is hard, especially this one. It can’t be simplified too much because it’s a very complicated war that is full of consequences.

I don’t always agree with all your articles, but that is life – people can’t agree on everything, On this one I thought you did a good job. Keep up the good work; more people like yourself need to show more reverence and respect for the endowed liberty of “”free speech.”” There are always consequences for the things we say or express.

William Pratt Rogers mining engineering senior