Obama to mourn with UA

UA students attending President Barack Obama’s speech tonight can expect stringent security at the McKale Memorial Center, said Secret Service spokesman Christina Veloud.

Attendees can expect to “”undergo screening as if they were boarding a plane,”” Veloud said.

Every site Obama attends has similar screenings.

“”Use common sense in the screening process,”” said Veloud. “”Don’t bring anything that could be construed as a weapon.””

Students interested in attending can help themselves by bringing less to get through screening quicker.

“”People who bring only keys, ID, and any medication they’re taking will get through much quicker than others,”” Veloud said.

Though the Secret Service can’t disclose the exact number of officers deployed, a sizeable police presence comprising of UAPD, Tucson Police Department and the Secret Service will be securing the event.

Sun Tran has also announced that the bus line will be offering free shuttle service to and from the memorial event. That service will begin at 2 p.m. and end at 5:30 p.m., covering routes from the El Con Mall on Broadway Boulevard or Hi Corbett Field on 22nd Street to the McKale Center.

The following areas on campus will be closed all day due to the event: Enke Drive between Campbell Avenue and National Championship Drive, parking lot 6098, and on-street parking on Cherry Avenue. The Sun Tran stop on the mall will also close at 10 a.m. and stay closed the remainder of the day, according to a letter from UA President Robert Shelton to the campus community.

Guests will be able to park for free on all surface lots.