Updated: Library works to offset higher midterm traffic

Colin+Prenger+%2F+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AThe+amount+of+students+on+campus+who+study+in+libraries+vary+throughout+the+year.+
Colin Prenger
Colin Prenger / Daily Wildcat The amount of students on campus who study in libraries vary throughout the year.

UA libraries experience their highest volumes of student traffic during midterms and finals weeks and they are offering a number of services to accommodate the increases.

The libraries on campus have consistently served more than two million people per year since 2003, and the numbers drastically increase as the end of the semester draws closer, with the UA Main Library’s busiest day being the Sunday before finals week.

The library offers several extra services that Sunday before finals week, including more-accessible research resources, as well as refreshments to give students a break from studying.

Additionally, the libraries have made some physical changes to better serve students and faculty.

“In particular this past summer we expanded study space on the library’s second floor and have increased data and power connections throughout the buildings,” said Robyn Huff-Eibl, team leader of access and information services for UA Libraries.

Similar changes have been made to all libraries on campus.

An online service made especially for reserving group study rooms is also in the planning stages.

“We have recently purchased a reservation system for group study rooms in the library, which we will be piloting in the upcoming months,” Huff-Eibl said. “If successful, we plan to expand it for use with all library group study rooms, which are especially high in demand during midterms and finals.”

Five group study rooms in the library’s Information Commons can be reserved by calling the help and reference desk, and all other rooms are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Many who use the library regularly said that the increase during midterms has been quite noticeable.

Jing Yang, a mechanical engineering senior, said she uses the library about once a week, and sometimes found it difficult to find a place to work.

“I use it (the library) for homework, and for studying for design classes,” Yang said. “I can never get a study room.”

The noise resulting from all the midterm group projects was the main problem for Alice Chu, a pre-nursing freshman.

“There was a lot of group projects, so there was a lot of talking,” she said. “I used my headphones most of the time.”

Kelly Carton, a freshman majoring in pre-retailing and consumer science, has been frequenting the library about four times a week for the past month, and said she has definitely noticed the increase during midterms.

“I noticed if I didn’t come before six (in the evening), I wouldn’t get a seat like at least on the first three floors,” Carton said.