Fast Facts

• The word “”tennis”” is based on the Old French word tenezi, meaning “”receive.”” The server would shout the word to warn his opponent that the ball was about to be put into play.
  • If you called a box office for tickets on a particular night only to be told that “”the house is dark,”” it simply means that there are no shows playing on that date.
  • Studies have shown that the stall closest to the door in a public restroom is typically the cleanest and least-used.
  • The London Underground was opened in 1893. It is the oldest (and still the longest) subway system in the world.
  • The city of Istanbul, Turkey, straddles two continents: Europe and Asia.
  • Former “”Mad About You”” star Paul Reiser not only co-wrote the show’s theme song, he also played piano for the tune.
  • The international airport serving Cincinnati is not in Ohio but in Kentucky.
  • Hawaii’s flag is the only U.S. state flag to incorporate the British Union Jack.
  • One-hundred lights adorned the first “”ball”” dropped in Times Square on New Year’s Eve in 1907.
  • Proxima Centauri is the closest star to our solar system, but it’s so dim that it cannot be seen with the naked eye.
  • Weather and work permitting, President John Quincy Adams enjoyed taking a nude dip in the Potomac River once a day.
  • “”F”” is the only letter of the alphabet that doesn’t appear in any atomic symbol in the Periodic Table.
  • The electric toaster was invented in 1905, more than 25 years before sliced bread became available at retail stores.
  • The sitter in Leonardo da Vinci’s “”Mona Lisa”” had no eyebrows.
  • The name “”Bobby”” used to refer to London police men goes back to Robert Peel, who organized the city’s Metropolitan Police force.
  • The inventor of Scrabble based each letter’s point value on the average frequency of their appearance on the front page of several editions of The New York Times.
  • If you had enough water to fill one million goldfish bowls, you could fill an entire stadium.