M-tennis opens fall season

The Arizona men’s tennis team opens its season today in Las Cruces, N.M., playing in the Aggie Invitational at the New Mexico State Tennis Complex.

“It’s a good opportunity for (the new) guys to get out and gain some experience,” said head coach Tad Berkowitz. “I thought it was important for them right out of the gate to kind of get some competition in, get some action in. You know, just kind of get the nerves out and get the kinks out.”

The team sends some of its less experienced players in junior Frank Chen, sophomore Mario Urquidi, and freshmen Carlos Bermudez and Robin Chou. According to Berkowitz, the Aggie Invitational, while important, is a smaller event on the team’s schedule, so he typically uses it as a way to let the players gain some valuable experience.

“This tournament in years past has always been a tournament where we have tried to focus on sending our younger guys, just to get their feet wet and get them grounded,” he said.

The four players will go up against several teams from the Southwest in this regional tournament. It features the University of New Mexico, Western New Mexico University, Abilene Christian University, NAU, and host New Mexico State University.

Two of the leaders of the team, sophomores Andre Vidaller and Giacomo Miccini, will not attend this event, as Berkowitz decided to keep them fresh for the HEB Baylor Invitational, a national tournament in Waco, Texas, at the end of this month.

“I hope all the new guys (Chou) and (Bermudez) can have their first college tournament as an experience,” Vidaller said.