Spring Fling in full swing

Mark Terry, left, and Mario Sanchez, employees of Ray Cammack Shows, set up one of the carnival booths for Spring Fling yesterday evening. Spring Fling begins today and runs through Sunday.

Despite yesterday’s scattered showers, Spring Fling officials say the forecast looks positive for the 34th annual carnival, which begins at 4 p.m. today at Rillito Park.

Cold temperatures and windy conditions resulted in a less than expected attendance last year, but the weather outlook is good this year and Spring Fling officials are expecting increased attendance and revenue from last year, said Alex Manuel, an accounting senior and executive director of Spring Fling.

“”We’re not concerned about the weather at all,”” Manuel said. “”We’re expecting at least 30,000 people to come over the course of four days, up from about 25,000 last year.””

Spring Fling is run by thousands of students from the UA, mostly from 30 different clubs that run everything at the carnival except the rides.

Spring Fling is scheduled to run today through Sunday.

“”It’s important for the clubs because this is where they get most of their philanthropy money,”” said Nicole Hogue, an animal science senior and club director for Spring Fling. “”It’s also a great way for clubs to get their name out into the community and for clubs to get to know other clubs.””

“”The main purpose of the carnival is club fundraising and the clubs are most important part of Spring Fling,”” Hogue said. “”This wouldn’t function without them.””

Last year the carnival raised about $60,000 but with brighter weather this year, officials said they hope to raise $80,000 collectively for clubs.

In addition to running ticket booths and games, the clubs will have 14 original food booths. Clubs make and design the booths and will cook and serve food like hot dogs, shish kabobs, cheese steaks, Mexican food and corn on the cob.

“”There is usually a good assortment of food. They come up with different variety every year,”” Manuel said.

As far as rides, Manuel said crowd favorites are usually the Mega Drop and the Slingshot.

“”We’re really happy with performance of rides last year so we’ve kept everything the same. For the bands the won’t be anyone big, we wanted to keep it local because it’s a local tradition,”” Manuel said.

Wristband nights are today and tomorrow, which offers carnival patrons unlimited rides with the purchase.

To help benefit the community food bank, carnival goers can get $5 off the wristband, which cost $20, for bringing both a jar of peanut butter and a canof vegetables.

Admission for UA students is free with CatCard.