Baskets & Bullets

• Welcome back — Wednesday night’s game marked a holiday return for many former UA men’s basketball players, with the most noticeable being Miles Simon, the MVP of the 1997 national championship team. Simon, who also coached for Arizona under Lute Olson, is in his second year as a color commentator for Fox Sports Net, which televised the game.

Eugene Edgerson, Kenny Lofton and Matt Brase were also in attendance.

• Where’d his ‘fro go? — Edgerson, who played for the Wildcats from 1996-2001 and was part of Final Four teams in 1997 and 2001 before becoming part of the world-famous Harlem Globetrotters team, was as popular for his looks as his play. Edgerson sported a giant afro atop his head for years, but when he refereed a little league game during halftime in McKale Center Wednesday, he wore braids on his head instead.

• Hess in the house — Referee Karl Hess, who gave UA head coach Sean Miller a technical foul in Maui when Miller yelled at Hess to be aware of the 3-second rule, was part of the officiating crew Wednesday. Many of the fans were aware of his presence, heckling Hess and booing him throughout the game.

In the end, no technical fouls were given, and Arizona finished the game with less fouls (15) than North Carolina State (21).

• So much for February — Jamelle Horne returned to action Wednesday after sitting Monday’s game out. Miller said Monday that Horne could be out up until February. Horne came off the bench against NC State and scored 12 points in 27 minutes. He also pulled down eight rebounds.

“”I think there (was) just a little bit of miscommunication,”” Horne said. “”Just some things said that weren’t totally on point.””

• Getting noticed — The Wildcats aren’t the only ones to notice the importance of Horne’s play. NBADraft.net has placed the junior in its 2011 mock draft, projecting him to be selected No. 47 overall.

• Finally, the Fab Five — Freshman Kevin Parrom played in his first collegiate game against the WolfPack after missing Arizona’s first 10 contests because of a stress fracture in his foot. He came into the game with 12:12 to go in the first half and played 6 total minutes, going 0-for-2 from the field.

“”It’s a big lift having Kevin back,”” said senior Nic Wise. “”It’s just depth. He doesn’t really have to come in and score 10, 12 points. It’s just having another 6-6 long wing player that rebounds and plays hard on defense.””

• Das Boot — Wise entered the media room in McKale Center wearing a blue shoe on his left foot and a protective walking boot on his right. When questioned about the boot, Wise said he has been wearing it for about three weeks, though he wouldn’t go into details about why.

“”I have—I shouldn’t say it,”” Wise said. “”I have something wrong in my foot, and to stop it from getting worse, I have to wear the boot, the trainer says.””

Added Horne: “”I think he just likes the way it looks. You know those Uggs? … Nic’s boot is called The Das Boot.””

• Three for Tree — With 4:39 to go in the first half, redshirt sophomore Alex Jacobson found himself with the ball and unguarded at the top of the 3-point arc. The 6-foot-11 center took the shot—his only 3-point attempt in his career—and nailed it, giving Arizona a 21-15 lead.

Jacobson, nicknamed Tree for his height, scored 6 points against Lipscomb Monday after coming into the game with 7 points through the first nine games.

“”I was on the bench and I didn’t know it was that deep of a shot,”” said fellow big man Derrick Williams. “”The defender backed up, and he said ‘I’m gonna shoot to get the 3.’ The crowd went wild.””

Added Horne: “”Ever since the (Lipscomb) game, we call Tree ‘Swish.’ It doesn’t even hit the rim.””

• Another 20 spot — For the third game this season, Williams scored more than 20 points, registering a game-high 24 on 10-for-17 shooting.

• Uncharacteristic — Wise missed went 6-for-8 from the free throw line (he missed three shots if you count the one he got to redo because of a lane violation). That’s a good percentage from the line for a game, but Wise had only missed two of 50 free throws coming into Wednesday’s game. He is now 54-for-58 on the season.