Pass/fail: See if these ideas make the grade

Gone phishing …

Nearly everyone on campus received e-mails this week purporting to be from DM Federal Credit Union that requested that recipients go to a Web site and enter personal account information. The email came from phishers – Internet swindlers who abuse the anonymity of e-mail to commit fraud. Any students who did comply with the instructions in the very believable-looking e-mail will have to spend the next few months monitoring their credit reports closely for signs that their personal information has been used. It’s surprising that an e-mail like this could get past the fairly sophisticated spam filters the Webmail system employs; however, CCIT did respond admirably after the problem had begun. The gutless criminals behind this abuse of our trust in communications, however, get a fail.

Giving greeks

As many students on campus find themselves overwhelmed with the demands that the end of the semester inevitably brings, the UA greek community is taking time out for a greater good and having some stress-relieving fun while doing it. Through a week of games and competitions, the Panhellenic Council is hoping to raise between $7,000 and $8,000 for the Tucson Community Food Bank. It’s great to see the greek community doing something very tangible to counter the negative rap it sometime faces. It was a disappointment to see this philanthropic event cancelled last year. For bringing it back with gusto, the Panhellenic Council and participating members of the UA greek community get a pass.

Likins the lionheart

For President Peter Likins, sitting in on meetings is a fact of life. It’s a big – albeit monotonous – part of the UA president’s routine. However, there was nothing mundane about the meeting Likins attended Monday. A little more than a week removed from heart surgery, Likins dropped in to say hello to the senior administrative staff. No easy task for a man who nearly fainted in his office from having almost two liters of blood leak into the sack surrounding his heart. To say that Likins is committed to the UA would be an understatement. For his incredible demonstration of strength and continued commitment to the task at hand, Likins gets a pass.

One for the kids

If you live in Tucson long enough, chances are that you’ll buy a car from one of Jim Click’s dealerships. While his dominance of the Tucson automotive industry has earned him millions, Click has a reputation for giving to worthy charities as well as a longtime relationship with the UA. Continuing that tradition, we were proud to see Click donate $50,000 toward children’s cancer research. The “”Hope on Wheels”” event was also noteworthy for the several scholarships that will be awarded to adolescent cancer patients so that they can pursue higher education. For reaching out to Tucson’s youth, Jim Click gets a pass.

Opinions Board

Opinions are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Nina Conrad, Lori Foley, Caitlin Hall, Michael Huston, Ryan Johnson and Aaron Mackey.