‘Cats finish road trip with shutout loss to UCLA

Claudio Cerrillo
Hannah Clifford (13) delivers a strong kick to the goal. The Cats won in overtime with a score of 2-1.

The Arizona women’s soccer team fell flat in sunny Southern California on Sunday. 

The Wildcats capped off their weekend by losing 2-0 to the No. 15-ranked UCLA Bruins. Arizona was shut out by USC three days prior to the match against the Bruins. 

The ‘Cats started off the match quickly, managing to get a quick four shots on goal by sophomore Jada Talley. Arizona looked to be in prime position to possibly steal one from the Bruins as they headed into halftime 0-0.

RELATED: The family tailgate you’ve never heard of

Coming out of the half, UCLA drew first blood. Olivia Athens scored off a cross from teammate Kennedy Faulknor. Athens did the rest, skipping one past Arizona goalkeeper Lainey Burdett. 

The ‘Cats hung in for as long as they could before surrendering the second goal of the night to Bruins midfielder Viviana Villacorta. 

Villacorta got behind the Wildcat defense as she dribbled down the middle of the field, getting a shot off that deflected off Burdett’s leg and into the back of the net. 

Reviewing the overall stats for the night, the ‘Cats deserve credit for hanging in closely with one of the better teams in the Pac-12. The Bruins tallied 13 shots to Arizona’s 10 and finished with six corner kicks to the Wildcats’ five. The Bruins did, however, have four more shots on goal than Arizona. Unfortunately for UA, two of those shots went in. 

Arizona will play three straight games at home before finishing the season on the road for the remaining three. 

The Wildcats will host Cal Berkeley on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. in Mulcahy Stadium.

Follow Alex Munoz on Twitter