New track pavement requires nightlight

Gordon Bates/ Arizona Daily Wildcat
Summer class cancelations are leaving students and professors with many questions as to what they are going to do over the summer. Under enrollment and budget issues are among the many causes of cancellations.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Summer class cancelations are leaving students and professors with many questions as to what they are going to do over the summer. Under enrollment and budget issues are among the many causes of cancellations.

Retired Tucson resident Margaret Moss noticed a neon glow emanating through the window of her home on 18th Street, a little past 11 p.m.

Moss proceeded to investigate and discovered the stadium lights surrounding the Roy P. Drachman track and field stadium had not been turned off. That was about two weeks ago, she said.

“”In the past there have been a few cases where they forgot to turn the lights off,”” Moss said. “”However, it was the same thing the next night and has been that way ever since.””

According to Steve Kozachik, associate director of athletics for facilities and capital projects, the Drachman track is currently being re-gummed due to a technical problem with the way the track was refinished about four years ago.

“”It was the wrong chemical mix, not sure what the problem was,”” he said. “”However, we are now fixing the problem by applying several new layers of track material.””

Gary Vining, an employee of General Acrylics, a Phoenix-based company that specializes in the construction of athletic facilities, said it is so hot during the day that the rubber used to resurface the track can’t be put dow. It clogs up the machine, he said.

“”We should be done in a couple of days,”” Vining said. “”I know it is a pain for some of the neighbors.””

For neighbors like Moss, that is definitely the case.

“”I have lived here for 42 years and have never seen something like this before,”” she said. “”I went over to the track at 4 a.m. and the lights were still on. There were only a couple of workmen there and they seemed half asleep.””

Drachman track neighbor Razz Rasmussen said he did not know that they were resurfacing the track.

“”The lights have been on and I haven’t seen anyone out there,”” he said.

However, Rasmussen said there is one benefit to having the track lights on throughout the nighttime hours.

“”They keep all of the bugs away from my house,”” he said.

Rasmussen’s roommate Leif Dyrsten said the lights do not perturb him; however, the noise from the maintenance crews is bothersome.

Dyrsten too is thankful for the newfound lack of bugs.