Injury-plagued Icecats head to Utah to take on Weber State

The No. 23 Icecats are headed up to the Weber County Ice Sheet in Ogden, Utah this weekend for a two-game series against the Weber State Wildcats. The Icecats (10-12-1) swept the Wildcats (6-21-1) by a combined score of 17-4 earlier in the season at the Tucson Convention Center.

But this time the Icecats won’t have the luxury of their raucous crowd, as the games are in WSU’s 2,200-seat arena — the same arena that hosted the curling events during the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Arizona’s club hockey team will also be without No. 2 scorer Andrew Murmes (shoulder) and one of its top defenseman, Michael Basist (pinched nerve).

“”We’re going with only 17 skaters with all of the injuries,”” said head coach Leo Golembiewski. “”We’re going with a short bench this weekend.””

Golembiewski said the Icecats will be suiting up nine forwards, only five defenseman and their three goaltenders. The Icecats are also at a disadvantage because of their lack of ice and practice time because of scheduling issues with TCC.

“”We’ve only had one practice since our last game on Jan. 29. It was last Friday, but it was a good one,”” Golembiewski said. “”We want to get out there and get on the ice.””

Although the Icecats swept the Wildcats in early December, they’re far from overconfident.

“”It has been a long time since we played Weber State, and they’ve played a lot of games since then, and so have we,”” Golembiewski said. “”So, we don’t know what is going on in their program,””  

According to the team’s website, WSU has tallied up a couple big wins over Boise State and Oregon since the last time they have played the Icecats.