Police Beat: Feb. 15

Wrong way

University of Arizona Police Department officers noticed a female student who was staggering and struggling to walk at 11:30 p.m. on Thursday. Officers pulled over and made sure she was all right. They asked where she was coming from, and she said she came from a fraternity. Officers stopped down the street from the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house, and officers speculated that she came from there.

Officers asked the woman where she was going and she said she was walking “straight home” to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. Officers told her that she was walking in the opposite direction of the hall. Once she realized she was walking the wrong way, she sat down on the curb.

Officers cited the woman for a minor in possession of alcohol in body and was drove her to her dorm.

Puke patrol

UAPD officers were patrolling the campus when they saw a college student lying in the grass on the corner of Second Street and Vine Avenue at 10:50 p.m. on Thursday. Officers stopped their patrol car and looked for movement from the student, but the student did not move. The officers then approached the student and asked, “Are you OK, and what are you up to tonight?” The student replied, “I drank a little bit.”

He told the officers that he was trying to get to his dorm on Highland Avenue, but could not make it. His eyes were bloodshot, his breath smelled like alcohol and he was barely able to keep his eyes open. As officers asked for further identification, the student “started to puke violently on the grass,” according to the officers. The student finished vomiting and said, “That was a bottle of Jameson at SAE (Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity).”

The Tucson Fire Department was called to make sure the student did not need medical assistance. Officers cited and released the student to his friend from the fraternity.

Lost and found

A UAPD officer on patrol spotted two female students hiding behind a streetlight and a stop sign at 3:50 a.m. on Saturday. He pulled over and asked the women if they were all right. They said yes, and that they were hanging out at the Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall waiting for their friend. The officer told them that they were not near the dorm, but standing by Old Main.

“We do not know how we got here then,” one of the women replied. When the officer smelled alcohol on their breath, the women acknowledged they had been drinking alcohol at a party off campus. The two women were cited for minor in possession of alcohol in body and were given a ride home to Colonia de la Paz.