Playboy’s Devilish party

Make all the rivalry-laden jokes about Arizona State University you want, but you’ve got to hand it to the Sun Devils: They know how to party.

I mean, like, reeeeally party. Like, “”Old School”” and “”Animal House”” made a baby and bottle-fed it Jameson.

With the release of its May 2010 issue, Playboy announced its list of top party schools in America. The University of Texas at Austin took the crown, while ASU was ranked No. 6. This is the fifth time the magazine has published its top party schools list and the fifth time the Sun Devils have been ranked. ASU was No. 15 last year, No. 1 in 2006 and 2002 and No. 13 in 1987.

The 2010 Princeton Review rated ASU the No. 20 party school, but Playboy’s name gives it a bit more credibility.

The UA was ranked No. 5 by Playboy last year, but didn’t make the cut this year. But don’t cry over your spilled beer just yet, Wildcats. ASU is well deserving of its prestigious rating.

Have you been to one of ASU’s huge overnight bonfire desert parties, complete with a mechanical bull and stripper poles? Have you been to one of its tailgating events? Incredible x2.

The UA is just recently jumping on the Undie Run bandwagon, but ASU has been stripping down for much longer.

Point blank, partying is what the Sun Devils are good at. They certainly aren’t turning any heads in the grammar department. Just last month a billboard in Phoenix advertising ASU read “”one of top 100 universities in the world,”” clearly forgetting an article before “”top.””

ASU even has a past with student body members who like to party hardy — or party hard on, as it were. In 2002, Brian Buck took part in a shower scene in an adult film called “”Shane’s World #29: Frat Row Scavenger Hunt 3.”” Buck went on to become ASU’s student body vice president.

Ladies and gentlemen, Tempe’s own Bill Clinton.

After the porno became known to the public, the ASASU senate voted to ask for Buck’s resignation, but he wouldn’t budge — a ballsy move.

Buck later told The Arizona Republic, “”I’m not apologizing for anything I did. The way I see it, it is 200 fraternity guys having a good time. It’s not like we planned it, it just happened. … It’s not an impeachable offense. I wasn’t in office when it happened. It’s not like this is Harvard. I can’t see ASU students getting too upset about it.

“”The only thing I care about is my family,”” Buck continued. “”How do you tell your family you were in a porno? They don’t pay for me to go to school to be in pornos.””

But fellow Sun Devil Courtney Cox “”Simpson”” has been paid for her services. She was an ASU cheerleader who left the squad and took her cheer outfit with her — and later used it in one of her many porn flicks, which pissed the university off to no end.

Oh, yeah. ASU knows how to party. If Playboy’s rankings mean anything to the Wildcats, the UA needs to step up its game.

Pass the Jameson.

— Lance Madden is a journalism senior.

He can be reached at editor@wildcat.arizona.edu.