W-Tennis starts tough stretch; M-Tennis to play home finale

Andres Carraso prepares to backhand the ball during University of Arizona Men’s Tennis practice on March 9, 2011.

The Arizona women’s tennis team goes back on the road this weekend to Northern California to partake in two more Pacific 10 Conference games. Throughout the season the Wildcats have proven their talent, carrying an impressive 15-4 record (2-1 in the Pac-10), along with a No. 30 ranking.

This marks the start of a daunting stretch run, which culminates in five straight matches against No. 10 California, No. 1 Stanford , No. 6 UCLA, No. 14 USC and in-state rival No. 13 ASU.

“”You’re talking about girls that are probably going to be pros, and, realistically, we just have to go in there and understand the facts of life and give ourselves a good frame of mind for our next week out here at home,”” said volunteer assistant coach Jim Rosborough.

Last weekend the Wildcats fell to the supremely talented Washington Huskies squad, but Arizona did give them everything they had in a hard-fought 4-3 loss. The doubles point came down to a tiebreaker, which Arizona lost. In the singles portion, Lacey Smyth, Susan Mc Rann and Jane Huh picked up the slack with victories.

“”Our team’s strength this year has been our ability to step up in every position, and it just didn’t go our way (last) weekend,”” said head coach Vicky Maes. “”The next few weeks are going to be challenging. We are not playing any teams outside of the top 15, I feel it’s what makes competition in the Pac-10 so attractive.””

The Wildcats challenging weekend in the Pac-10 opens with California today, followed by the ranked Stanford Cardinal on Saturday.

The Arizona men’s team (8-9, 0-2 Pac-10) has struggled recently, losing four straight. For four Wildcat seniors, this weekend will mark their final two home matches. Star Andres Carrasco, along with Jay Goldman, Borja Malo and Geoff Embry will participate in their final matches at the Robson Tennis Center this weekend, and it won’t be an easy swan song for these Wildcats as they welcome No. 4 California Golden Bears and No. 12 Stanford Cardinals.

Carrasco currently holds a 11-8 overall record this season, and has a total of 65 wins on his career.