Shelton meets more

President Robert Shelton meets with bookstore associate Marlene Smith in the UofA Bookstore Monday while touring the campus with student body president Erin Hertzog

President Robert Shelton rubbed elbows with the UA community for a second straight day yesterday, making conversation with passers by during a noontime UA Mall appearance in front of Old Main.

“”I’ve got 37,000 people to meet,”” Shelton announced at the start of the event. “”So I might as well start today.””

Shelton’s voice was replaced with rock music blasting through the sound system as clumps of students idled up to the new president, interested in a chance to close the gap between themselves and the boss.

Shelton, accompanied by Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Erin Hertzog, fielded questions and concerns from students and staff while many stopped to enjoy free Eegee’s and cookies provided by Wildcat Welcome.

Students who took advantage of the opportunity said they walked off feeling optimistic about their new president.

“”I never thought I’d meet an important person from UA – just my teachers,”” said Anders Peterson, a junior majoring in Spanish. “”It’s quite a surprise.””

Dave Farley, an undeclared sophomore, took a few minutes to chat with Shelton about the UA’s budget.

“”It’s a huge deal for everyone,”” Farley said. “”The budget might not impact me now, but I’m concerned about the effects on others who come afterward.””

Other students native to Tucson wanted to know how Shelton’s vision for the UA would benefit the city as a whole.

“”I’m interested in the changes he brings to Tucson,”” said Grayson Vanderlinde, an undeclared junior. “”I’ve been here for a while, so it would be nice to see it advance our city.””