Probation a real threat for slipping students

When Anthony Anderson first stepped onto the UA campus as a freshman in the fall of 2005, “”I was expected to just party,”” he said.

“”I had my priorities on having fun and not furthering my education.””

After two semesters, Anderson was forced to leave due to academic ineligibility. The classrooms, larger than the ones he had in high school, allowed Anderson the freedom to miss class without being noticed.

“”I’m not really good with large lectures, and I know a lot of other people aren’t either,”” he said. “”I just didn’t ask for help.””

That’s a recurring problem with new students, said Greg Ziebell, assistant director of Residence Life’s residential education department.

“”Attending class, reading assignments and visiting

While the partying is nice, in the end, you don’t get a degree for that.

– Anthony Andrerson, UA student

office hours are basic things that will help students succeed,”” he said. “”We lose approximately 19 to 20 percent of our freshman class between their freshman and sophomore year(s).””

The UA has many departments catered to helping students succeed, starting in as unlikely a place as a dormitory.

“”We offer a lot of academic support in Residence Life to our students,”” said Pam Obando, Residence Life associate

director. “”A lot of times, it’s just getting the students to the right resources and them taking advantage of it.””

“”Students should live a balanced life,”” Ziebell said, “”which means not only do they need to be a student, but they need to have time for themselves. Students need to eat right, have enough sleep, and make sure they stay healthy by exercising.””

Finding balance is the key.

“”I would hang out with friends on school nights and skip morning classes,”” Anderson said. “”It makes it hard when you see other students sleeping in class. If they did it, why couldn’t I?””

The university places students on academic probation if they fail to attain a 2.0 grade-point average or better. Some majors have even stricter policies on grades.

Returning to the UA next semester after a year in community college, Anderson said his struggles have left him with an important message.

“”I could have definitely realized what I was originally here for,”” he said. “”While the partying is nice, in the end, you don’t get a degree for that.””