DE positively productive

UA defensive end Jason Parker secures a grip on Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard during the Wildcats 21-20 loss Saturday at Arizona Stadium. The senior has four sacks on the season, good for second on the team.
    UA defensive end Jason Parker secures a grip on Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard during the Wildcats’ 21-20 loss Saturday at Arizona Stadium. The senior has four sacks on the season, good for second on the team.

Starting at defensive end for the Arizona football team is not a big deal – it’s an honor.

With the rotation end coach Joe Robinson set up for the for the outside linemen, it isn’t out of the ordinary for Louis

Holmes, Johnathan Turner and Jason Parker to all see 50-plus plays a game, regardless of who is set as the No. 1 guy on the depth chart.

Heading into the season, Parker was listed as a reserve. Four weeks into the season, he was listed as the starter on the depth chart and has stayed there for the past three weeks.

“”I don’t think starting is that big of an issue. It is about how you play and how productive you are,”” Robinson said. “”It is an honor for (Parker) to start. He was able to go from being a guy that was pretty far down there on the depth chart to a starter because of his work ethic.

“”He does the things we stand for and the things everybody looks for in a great player,”” Robinson said. “”He works his tail off every day.””

Coming into the season, it wasn’t about expectations for Parker.

The 6-foot-3, 265-pound senior wasn’t worried about how much he was going to see the field or the number of sacks he was going to record.

For Parker, football is simple.

“”All I ever want to do is contribute and do my part to help the team out,”” he said. “”I feel like so far I have been consistent and made plays throughout the season. I am doing my best, and now I am out there a lot more than I have been in the past.””

Arizona head coach Mike Stoops has said the players who produce most will see the field the most.

Though Parker was a player who didn’t see all kinds of playing time, the end has proven he is capable of producing as well as anyone. Parker is second on the team with four sacks, despite not starting every game.

And the coaching staff has noticed the element of pressure he brings to the Wildcat defense.

“”We have been very pleased with Jason,”” said defensive coordinator Mark Stoops. “”We feel like we have three or four guys that are capable of playing at any given time, but he has earned the right to have the starting label.

“”He has been a little more productive. I feel really encouraged with how the defensive line has been playing.””