Calendar

Rock band Girl in a Coma is made up of sisters Nina and Phanie Diaz, and Jenn Alva, and have opened up for former member of The Smiths, Morrissey. Catch the band when it plays at Solar Culture on Monday at 8 p.m.

Today

A whole lotta Zin – Club Congress will be having a wine tasting with five different Zinfandels, hosted by local wine entrepreneur Kenny Stewart. The catch is, it’s only $5, so you can go in still wondering how large the glasses will be. 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. $5. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

UA World Percussion Night – The UA World Music Gang will team up with Brazilian music group Batucaxe and the Japanese taiko ensemble Odaiko Sonora. Wow, that’s a mouthful. 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall.

Tomorrow

Saturday Night Fever – Remember when John Travolta wasn’t a hack with this classic ’70s disco movie? Beforehand, they’ll be playing badass disco music for attention-whores to dance to onstage. Friday and Saturday. 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

KXCI DJ Battle – If you’ve ever listened to 91.3 KXCI on Friday nights, you’ll be excited to come hear some of their music live at Congress. Tucson’s top electronic DJ’s will do battle in 30-minute sets, and even have mic fights. 6 p.m. Free. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Saturday

RRIICCEE – This band is notable because it contains the guitarist from Hole and the man who directed “”The Brown Bunny”” himself, Vincent Gallo. If you don’t know who that is, he’s the guy that somehow managed to get Chloe Sevigny to give him a blowjob on camera for the movie. He also placed a curse on Roger Ebert’s colon. 9 p.m. $15 in advance, $13 at the door. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Sunday

The Comedy Jesus Show – This Troy Conrad show features stand-up, short films, animation, PowerPoint and improv that makes fun of “”blind obedience”” to religion. To me, it sounds like it’s making fun of religion in general, but that’s up to the local George Carlin fans to decide. 9 p.m. $10. Laff’s Comedy Club, 2900 E. Broadway Blvd., Suite 154

2008 Miss Pima County Scholarship Pageant – If you’re between 17 and 24, have average-sized breasts and know how to play the triangle, you might be eligible for this contest. You’re also eligible to attend if you like staring at 17 to 24 year olds playing the triangle, or performing other assorted tasks. 3 p.m. $10. Flowing Wells High School, 3725 N. Flowing Wells Road

Monday

“”She-Devils on Wheels”” – This Herschell Gordon Lewis movie is about a bunch of biker chicks in hot shorts who ride around in a group called the Man-Eaters. When one decides she’s too pussy and wants to run away and get married, the movie gets really violent and bloody. It’s also notable for the song “”Get off the Road.”” 8 p.m. $2. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Girl in a Coma w/ Evil Fudd – This sceney girl band just opened up for Social Distortion, and will continue to build on the prestige by sharing the stage with the highly acclaimed Evil Fudd. The latter is a ska band from Tucson who claims to “”put the F U back in Fudd,”” which is relatively clever. 9 p.m. $8. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Jazz Trumpet Solo Competition – Apparently, this event is the most pretigious competition for jazz trumpeters around the world. The winning prize is $10,000, just for tooting a horn! 12 p.m. Free. Centennial Hall

Tuesday

An Evening of Opera Scenes – The UA Opera Theater will perform a series of comedic and dramatic scenes from operas such as “”Orfeo ed Euridice,”” “”La Boheme,”” “”Ballad of Baby Doe”” – whose title almost seems like it’s in another language even though it’s not – and “”Werther.”” 7:30 p.m. Free. UA School of Music, Crowder Hall

Chimaira – This metal band takes its name from a mythical lion-headed demon, which seems a bit more stately than their scream-music, but just as dangerous. They’ll also be playing with Kataklysm, Terror and Divine Heresy. 7 p.m. $15. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.

Wednesday

Roundtable: The Healing Power of Creative Writing – If it’s so healthy, they should bottle it and require a prescription. But then, some pharmacists would probably refuse to give it out on religious grounds – which is admirable, I guess. Maybe that’s why it’s just better to talk about it in a group setting, like here. 4 p.m. Free. The University of Arizona Museum of Art