Police Beat

Someone stole a backpack from the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, 1500 E. University Blvd., at 11:20 a.m. Wednesday.

The owner told an officer that he had been working on a computer near a copy machine when he set the backpack down and left the area for a couple minutes. When he returned, his backpack was missing.

He asked a woman who was on the computer next to him if she had seen his backpack, and she said someone had picked it up. She thought it belonged to the person.

The backpack contained two books, a digital camera and a set of 25 keys on a long chain.

Police have no suspects.

A man was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of drug paraphernalia at 12:20 a.m. Tuesday.

An officer responded to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., on a report of marijuana on the sixth floor. The officer knocked on the door of the suspected room, and a student answered.

He said the officer could enter the room but that he did not have marijuana inside. The man’s pupils were dilated and his tongue had green residue on it.

He said he had bought a blunt at Jett’s Wildcat, 501 N. Park Ave., and smoked it there. He went to his closet and gave the officer a glass pipe, saying that was all he had.

A woman was transported to University Medical Center for intoxication and mental health issues after she was found at Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., at 4:39 a.m. Tuesday. At 2:53 a.m. officers went to the building on a report of someone passed out next to a fence. They made contact with the subject and were unable to wake her, so they called Tucson Fire Department.

TFD arrived and cleared the woman. She was speaking and able to walk to her room.

While an officer was talking to her in her room she pulled out a prescription bottle and attempted to take some of the pills inside. The officer asked to see what the prescription was and learned it was Clanazipan, an antidepressant.

The officer tried to stop her from taking the pills, as she was still intoxicated, and he finally took the pills from her. The officer told her to go to sleep, and that she could pick up the pills at the University of Arizona Police Department station in the morning.

She refused to let the officer leave with her pills. The officer spoke with her for quite a while, and she told him she had an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services in the morning.

She would not say why she was going and kept banging her head against the wall while the officer was talking to her. The officer asked her to stop several times, and she said she had to hurt herself to “”get through this shit,”” according to reports.

The officer noticed she had many healed scars on her arms and wrists. He asked her if that comment covered why she cut herself, and she said yes, adding that she has cut herself since she was 15.

The officer told her he would not leave the prescriptions with her, but if she would go to UMC and talk with someone he would leave them with the nurse. She agreed, and the officer transported her to UMC.

While she was checking in with a nurse at UMC, she said she took four Clanazipan pills before she went out drinking.

An FYI was sent to the Dean of Students Office regarding her mental health.

Someone broke into a hot dog cart at 1103 E. Second St. and stole two speakers between 1:30 p.m. Sunday and 8:50 a.m. Tuesday.

A man said that the cart was broken into sometime after he closed it at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Someone had broken a latch on one of the cabinet doors to steal the speakers, which belonged to the man.

An officer did not find any evidence at the scene.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.