Staff picks

Football at No. 6 California

The glass-half-full outlook on the Arizona football team: The Wildcats have scored 72 points in their last two games, with an offense starting to resemble more of offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes’ juggernaut at Texas Tech than the inept attack from years past. The glass-half-empty outlook: The UA defense has given up 51 combined points to NAU and New Mexico in the last two games. The realistic outlook: How is a team that can’t beat the Lobos at home supposed to compete with Cal on the road?

California 37, Arizona 13

Michael Schwartz
    assistant sports editor

Judging from the disastrous results of previous games – New Mexico comes to mind – the Wildcats seem to have no business even being in the same stadium as the Golden Bears. But if there is any hope for reaching a bowl game, they must win in Berkeley. The defense will need to contain DeSean Jackson, and if the offense doesn’t turn the ball over, it has a shot.

Arizona 31, California 28

Michael Fitzpatrick
    sports writer

With the way Arizona’s defense has underperformed against ordinary offenses in Brigham Young and New Mexico, the unit doesn’t have a chance on the road against No. 6 California. The Bears’ explosive offense – averaging over 40 points per game – will run all over the Wildcats. Expect big games from Heisman Trophy candidate wide receiver DeSean Jackson and running back Justin Forsett – who has rushed for 367 yards through three games this season in a Cal rout.

California 42, Arizona 10

Corey Romberg
    sports writer

Soccer vs. Virginia Tech, No. 2 Santa Clara

The last time a top-three team invaded Murphey Stadium, the No. 3 Longhorns crawled back to Texas after one of the biggest wins in Arizona soccer history. Now the Wildcats have a shot at No. 2, but don’t expect lightning to strike twice, although fifth-year UA head coach Dan Tobias has turned a dreadful program into a perennial contender in the Pacific 10 Conference. Still, Arizona should be good enough to salvage the split.

Arizona splits

Michael Schwartz
    assistantsports editor

The euphoria from the soccer team’s victory over then-No. 3 Texas can last for only so long, especially in a game the Longhorns dominated. The UA women are about to receive a vicious slap in the face from reality this weekend. The Hokies have an experienced goalkeeper, unlike Arizona, and a stingy D allowing 0.80 goals per contest. I admittedly don’t know much about Santa Clara, but it must be No. 2 for a reason. Having personally watched the game against Texas and seen the results against then-No. 8 Virginia, I’m not too optimistic about this weekend. Sorry, ladies.

Arizona gets swept

Michael Fitzpatrick
    sports writer

The Arizona women’s soccer team has gotten off to a surprising 4-2 start, including a big upset over then-No. 3 Texas early in the season. That should be enough for the team to get a win against a 3-2 Virginia Tech team making its first trip to a Pac-10 venue. It won’t be enough, however, to defeat No. 2 Santa Clara, undefeated this season.

Arizona splits

Corey Romberg
    sports writer

L.A. Dodgers at Arizona Diamondbacks

Anybody, anytime. The D-backs’ slogan aptly describes a team that has received big contributions from its entire roster, even a couple players who came straight from Double-A. Despite a negative run differential, National League-leading Arizona has overachieved to the extent that the club’s in the driver’s seat for a playoff berth entering the stretch run. With the D-backs lucking out by missing Brad Penny and Derek Lowe, and with their own ace, Brandon Webb, going Saturday, the D-backs will take a couple ticks off their magic number against the fading Dodgers.

D-backs take two of three

Michael Schwartz
    assistantsports editor

Maybe the sense of impending doom emanating from the sinking ship that is the Boston Red Sox has made me more pessimistic than our esteemed editor regarding the football team’s record (and she’s been right so far). The D-backs lost two of three to the Dodgers a week ago, and the boys from Los Angeles, who have faded from playoff contention by losing five games in a row, would love nothing more than to play spoiler for a young Diamondbacks team.

Dodgers sweep

Michael Fitzpatrick
    sports writer

This series is a must-win for the D-Backs. Because neither team has much offense, the series will come down to pitching. For Arizona, it helps having Brandon Webb – 3-0, 0.39 ERA against Los Angeles this season – pitching over the weekend. It also helps that the Dodgers are pitching Esteban Loaiza, who is winless in his career versus Arizona. That being said, Los Angeles is 5-1 at Chase Field this year, so they’re a good bet for at least one win.

D-backs take two of three

Corey Romberg
    sports writer