UA hosts sexual safety fair

Ginny Polin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Astrid Eskridge (left), a family studies and human development freshman, grabs a few condoms from Brittany Robertson and Mr. Condom Wednesday during Sexually Transmitted Diseases Awareness Day.  April is STD Awareness Month, and campus health is encouraging everyone to get tested.
Ginny Polin
Ginny Polin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Astrid Eskridge (left), a family studies and human development freshman, grabs a few condoms from Brittany Robertson and Mr. Condom Wednesday during Sexually Transmitted Diseases Awareness Day. April is STD Awareness Month, and campus health is encouraging everyone to get tested.

A giant human condom could be seen strolling around the UA campus on Wednesday as a way to encourage people to get tested for sexually transmitted diseases.

Campus Health Service hosted an STD Testing Resource fair on the UA Mall yesterday to raise awareness of the importance of getting tested as part of STD Testing Awareness Month and the Get Yourself Tested Campaign.  

Free condoms, lubricants and “”sexy prizes”” were passed out during the event, along with pamphlets that provided information on where to go to get tested. One of these places includes Campus Health, which offers confidential testing for STDs, including HIV.  

“”We want to make this information accessible to any UA student, which is why we had the resource fair on the Mall,”” said Carrie Hardesty, a health educator for Campus Health Service. “”(It is) the heart of the UA campus.””

A certified nurse from Campus Health Service stationed an Ask-a-Nurse booth at the fair, which gave students the opportunity to ask questions regarding sex and to learn the signs and symptoms of STDs. At the booth, students were asked to fill out a quiz designed to test their sex knowledge.

“”We are trying to celebrate and provide information,”” said Eileen Devlin, a nurse practicioner for Campus Health Service. “”The turnout has been really well. We’ve been here since 11 o’clock this morning and have gotten good feedback.””  

The resource fair also hosted booths from local health organizations including the Women’s Resource Center, Student Health Advisory Committee, Planned Parenthood and the Pima County Health Department.

Planned Parenthood was there to provide information about its organization and give students the opportunity to sign a petition to make prescription birth control available without co-pays under the Heath Care Reform Law.  

“”Birth control can get really, really expensive,”” said Madelaine Archie, journalism senior and member of Vox, a student group run through Planned Parenthood. “”I think people should be informed so they can make healthy choices for themselves, whether it’s selecting a birth control or getting tested that’s what we’re here for.””

It is estimated one in two sexually active young people will contract an STD by age 25, and most will not know it.