Staff Picks

Arizona vs. New Mexico

The Lobos picked a wrong time to come to Tucson. The Wildcats finally found their offensive stroke last weekend against NAU, and now they are going to bring the pain to New Mexico. If the Lobos allowed 581 yards to New Mexico State, it may get pretty ugly in Tucson on Saturday. Expect the Wildcats to smack New Mexico around like Ike did Tina Turner.

Arizona 41, New Mexico 12

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

Having been a former member of the Lobo nation, I know what they’re (not) capable of. If it were possible for both teams to lose, it would happen. The last meeting between the two was in the 1997 Insight.com Bowl when the Lobos had Brian Urlacher, and they still lost 20-14. All in all, Arizona is more athletic at the skill positions, which should translate to a win for the Wildcats.

Arizona 34, New Mexico 17

Brian Kimball
    sports writer

Sonny Dykes quickly learned from his conservative play calling against Arizona’s first Mountain West Conference foe. Expect last week’s air assault to fly over New Mexico at Arizona Stadium. No, that’s not a UFO, just QB Willie Tuitama eclipsing last Saturday’s 283 passing yards. More of the same dǸjÇÿ vu from last weekend’s NAU attack, without the Taser.

Arizona 28, New Mexico 10

Bryan Roy
    sports writer

No. 10 Ohio State at Washington

Everybody is talking about Washington’s redshirt freshman quarterback Jake Locker, who has had some pretty decent performances. Well, it was cute while it lasted. Ohio State allowed only three rushing yards to Akron last week, so the Huskies will be greeted by a real defense for the first time this season. The only Locker people are going to be talking about is the one the Buckeyes shove the Huskies into following the game.

Ohio State 20, Washington 0

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

Ohio State has a suffocating defense, forcing 12 consecutive three-and-outs against Akron last week in a 20-3 victory. However, the offense has been anemic after losing the majority of their firepower from last year. Washington quarterback Jake Locker is more like a fullback. The Buckeyes defense won’t be able to take Locker down easily. Add that to the explosiveness of starting running back Louis Rankin, and the Huskies return to form.

Washington 20, Ohio State 17

Brian Kimball
    sports writer

Add this one to UW head coach Tyrone Willingham’s resume. After upsetting then-No. 22 Boise State last Saturday, the Huskies continue to roll through a tough nonconference schedule at home. Ohio State’s 16-game winning streak against unranked teams ends to the powerhouse Pacific 10 Conference, and Ari Wasserman sobs for weeks.

Washington 21, Ohio State 17

Bryan Roy
    sports writer

No. 1 USC at No. 14 Nebraska

The Fall of Troy, this time occurring in Lincoln, Neb. Prior to the season I picked USC to lose at least two games, and I stand by my words. I still can’t get over the fact that people are comparing this team to an NFL team. The Browns would kill them. No Leinart, no Reggie Bush, no dice. Expect Nebraska to get back on the map after being somewhere in Russia for the past five years.

Nebraska 38, USC 32

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

After coasting through their season opener at home, USC travels to Lincoln, Neb., to take on the Huskers. Expect Bill Callahan to pull more than a few tricks out of his sleeve in this game. USC is way too athletic and too well-coached to stumble after having an extra week of preparation. Expect a close game, but a defense loaded with pro prospects should set the tone for another undefeated nonconference schedule for the Trojans.

USC 27, Nebraska 10

Brian Kimball
    sports writer

The last team to head into Lincoln, Neb., atop the polls was the No. 1 Oklahoma team that lost 17-14 to the Cornhuskers in 1978. With that said, expect Southern Cal to come out rusty from a week’s rest after a lackluster season opener against Idaho. Three turnovers against the mighty Idaho Vandals sounds troubling for Pete Carroll’s Booty. Speaking of that, John David gets rocked by Nebraska corner Corey McKeon.

Nebraska 35, USC 28

Bryan Roy
    sports writer