Arizona football takes on Washington Huskies for Family Weekend

Caleb Villegas
Samiri Springs (29) Safety pointing to the sky after he finished praying at Arizona Stadium on Saturday September 28, 2019 in Tucson Ariz. Arizona held on to beat UCLA 20-17.

Two of the top teams in the Pac-12 are playing each other here in Tucson this weekend. The Washington Huskies (4-2) travel to Tucson for the first time since beating Arizona 35-28 in overtime in 2016. The Huskies are coming off of a 23-13 loss to Stanford last week, which should be a key point in this game.

Arizona (4-1) comes off a brilliant 35-30 win over Colorado in Boulder last week, led by Rose Bowl Player of the Week Khalil Tate, who went 31-for-41 with 404 yards and three touchdowns and an interception. Arizona’s defense has been the story of this year so far, having allowed 147 points this season, but have been playing their best defense as of late.

“At the beginning of the season, we were hearing a lot of talk about him, so we started playing for him and each other and we allowed 14 [to Texas Tech] and 17 [to UCLA],” said defensive tackle J.B. Brown.

The Washington Huskies are a very scary team coming off of a loss — the week after losing to Cal 20-19, they beat Hawaii 52-20. Quarterback Jacob Eason is one of the best quarterbacks in the Pac-12 conference, and possibly the nation, as he’s put up over 1400 yards passing with 11 touchdowns and three interceptions as well. Arizona should expect the Huskies to run the ball a lot as well though, as they have the No. 4 running back in the Pac-12, Salvon Ahmed.

Washington has a lot of matchup problems, however; their tight end Hunter Bryant is a man among boys, as he is listed at 6’2”, 239 pounds, so linebackers Colin Schooler and Tony Fields II will have their hands full this week. 

Washington’s defense also brings problems when it comes to the pass rush. Defensive end Benning Potoa’e is No. 4 in the Pac-12 in sacks. The Huskies’ secondary, defensive back Myles Bryant, is very physical, leading the team with 39 total tackles. Bryant is very young though, so look for Arizona to try and take advantage of this during this weekend’s game.

Washington has been shaky when coming to Arizona to play, whether it be here in Tucson or playing ASU. Fans should expect Arizona to put pressure on Eason as much as possible, but with the experience on the offensive line that Washington has, the Wildcats will be tested.

With a team as big as Washington coming to play here in Tucson, especially since the game takes place during Family Weekend, Arizona Stadium should be packed.

The game will take place on Saturday, October 12 at 8:00 p.m at Arizona Stadium.

Follow Austin Wales on Twitter.